Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt. Cyril Lawson Milburn (Edward Gerald Mucklow) RFC

IJDALLINGER

I have been researching the above officer. Over many years I have not yet been able to get to the bottom of the mystery (or not). Could anyone help me please.

2nd Lt Edward Gerald Mucklow served as Cyril Lawson Milburn. He died in a flying accident at Stow Maries Aerodrome on the 23rd April 1918 and is buried in the churchyard at St Mary and St Margaret, Stow Maries, Essex. His headstone refers to him as Cyril Lawson Milburn but has a reference to 'beloved Gerry', indicating his family would have known his true identity.

He enlisted as Milburn and was first attached to No 2 AD on 9.9.16

His pilot Certificate shows him as being born in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada and is dated 3 May 1916, but I know he attended public school outside Blackpool, Uk and that a census at the time shows him born in the UK. His next of kin are shown as A. L.Turner, Ansdell Gate, Lytham, Lancs.

I have his medical history but this throws no further light. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you seen his service records? I can send them to you if not.

2nd thoughts - perhaps it's not your chap. He's down as a deserter.

I'll detail what it says, then you can decide...

Edward Gerald Mucklow born 1885 (registered in Bury, Lancashire, England)

Next of Kin - Mrs Mucklow (Mother) Elton, Windermere, Lancashire.

It notes that his father is dead and he lives with his mother.

Enlisted 4 Sep 1914

Deserted 19 Sep 1915. Says he broke out of the Military Hospital, Lichfield.

2nd Edit: After reading this http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/vie...20-%200546.html I think it could be the same chap.

The death record for Cyril Milburn says he is aged 28 at death, which would make him born c1890. Are you sure they're supposed to be the same guy?

After what I seem to have been through with this chap I would not be suprised at anything. I have him down as 33 when he died in the accident at Stow. I would really like to see the service records. It may clear up long un-answered questions. His medical record at the RAF Museum has him in and out of hospital with acute boils. Then posted to two RFC squadrons before being hopitalised again, then posted home to 37 Squadron, RFC. There is also mention of VDG (slight) would you have any ideas what that means? I have my ideas. Any help would be really appreciated.. I have two photgraphs of him. He seems a bit older that the average RFC/RAF pilot of the time. He seems very close to his sister too.

Thank you very much for this.

• 2 years later...
Guest lovejoy

hello,

sorry if I'm a bit late in the day as far as this subject is concerned but I was doing some family research (unrelated to the subject at hand) and came across this site; http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1918/1918%20-%200546.html. The website has a reference to the pilot as shown below;

EDWARD GERALD MUCKLOW, R.F.C., who was accidentally

killed while night-flying on April 22nd, after over 14 months',

flying at the front, was the son of the late Walter Mucklow,:

of Bury and Grange-over-Sands, and Ada Mucklow, Elton,

Storrs Park, Windermere.

I hope this is of use to you,

Steve.

Stow Curator,

The BMD & census data corroborate the information in the service record rather than the spurious Royal Aero Club record. The BMD states that

Edward Gerald Mucklow's birth was registered in 4th Quarter 1885, at Bury, Lancs. The 1891 Census lists him as "Gerald Edward" and has him

living with his family, at Bury. The 1901 Census lists him as "Edward Gerald"; he was at Rossall School, Fleetwood, Lancs, so it is likely the

headmaster recorded his name correctly. His parents were Walter & Ada (Whitehead) Mucklow; his mother was living at Elton, Storrs Park,

Windermere at the time of his death. The RAeC record for "Cyril Lawson Milburn" says he was born 19 September 1888, at Red Deer, Alberta, Canada.

We can be rather certain his birthdate was in 1885, late in the year, as this is confirmed by the BMD and the two census entries. Apologies for

the lateness of my post, but I first saw your thread today.

Regards

Trelawney