Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reserve Infantry Regiment 103

tintin1689

Can anyone tell me where this Regiment was from and its combat record? I would not like to cross some of these men...

Well Im sorry you can't see them apparently I can't upload bmp or jpg files, but happy to e-mail to anyone interested. It is a damn good picture

Hello, This regiment was originally part of the 23rd Reserve Division, a Saxon unit. The 103rd IR home district was Bautzen so it is probable that many of the members of the 103 RIR came from this area as well.

The regiment fought at the marne and in the Champagne in 1914, remained in the Champagne in 1915 (Auberive sector) and was involved in the September French attacks when the regiment was taken from the division and became part of the Liebert Division but returned to the 23rd Reserve Division in October 1915. the History of 251 German Divisions lists the regimental losses at 140 killed, 751 wounded and 1,369 missing.

the regiment fought on the Somme in July/August. The 103rd RIR was then sent to the 211th Division where the division also fought onthe Somme until November.

In January 1917 the regiment was transferred to the 58th Division and was at Verdun, Champagne and Lake Narotch in Russia. The division returned to the west and was positioned near Houthulst Wood in late 1917. In 1918 the regiment was near Ypres, transferred to the Scarpe-Somme and ended up north of Ecourt-St. Quentin. I hope this short capsule helps. It was taken primarily from the History of 251 German Divisions that fought in the war.

Ralph