Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt. Edward Gerald Mucklow (Cyril Milburn)

IJDALLINGER

I have been researching the above officer. Over many years I have not yet been able to get to the bottom of the mystery (or not). Could anyone help me please.

2nd Lt Edward Gerald Mucklow served as Cyril Lawson Milburn. He died in a flying accident at Stow Maries Aerodrome on the 23rd April 1918 and is buried in the churchyard at St Mary and St Margaret, Stow Maries, Essex. His headstone refers to him as Cyril Lawson Milburn but has a reference to 'beloved Gerry', indicating his family would have known his true identity.

He enlisted as Milburn and was first attached to No 2 AD on 9.9.16

His pilot Certificate shows him as being born in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada and is dated 3 May 1916, but I know he attended public school outside Blackpool, Uk and that a census at the time shows him born in the UK. His next of kin are shown as A. L.Turner, Ansdell Gate, Lytham, Lancs.

I have his medical history but this throws no further light. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Chris Hobsen's "Airmen Died in the Great War" has him listed under both names, with a little more information. He was a pilot in Number 37 squadron and listed as a native of Bury, Lancashire, and was killed in a flying accident on 22/04/18 at the age of 33 whilst piloting either BE12 Number C3240 or BE2e Number B4535.

Regards

Steve

Thank you for that. I shall keep my nose to the grindstone on this one.

I have been researching the above officer. Over many years I have not yet been able to get to the bottom of the mystery (or not). Could anyone help me please.

2nd Lt Edward Gerald Mucklow served as Cyril Lawson Milburn. He died in a flying accident at Stow Maries Aerodrome on the 23rd April 1918 and is buried in the churchyard at St Mary and St Margaret, Stow Maries, Essex. His headstone refers to him as Cyril Lawson Milburn but has a reference to 'beloved Gerry', indicating his family would have known his true identity.

He enlisted as Milburn and was first attached to No 2 AD on 9.9.16

His pilot Certificate shows him as being born in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada and is dated 3 May 1916, but I know he attended public school outside Blackpool, Uk and that a census at the time shows him born in the UK. His next of kin are shown as A. L.Turner, Ansdell Gate, Lytham, Lancs.

I have his medical history but this throws no further light. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have probably already got all this stuff but looking through my notes I seem to have the following:

2nd. Lt. E.G. Mucklow (aka Milburn) was killed on 22/4/1918 when his BE12 suffered from engine failure during a spin. He crashed on "Moonshine Field" which was apparently "near the aerodrome" and is, of course, burried in Stow Maries churchyard.

(Sorry Ivor - probably obvious stuff as far as you are concerned?).

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

You have probably already got all this stuff but looking through my notes I seem to have the following:

2nd. Lt. E.G. Mucklow (aka Milburn) was killed on 22/4/1918 when his BE12 suffered from engine failure during a spin. He crashed on "Moonshine Field" which was apparently "near the aerodrome" and is, of course, burried in Stow Maries churchyard.

(Sorry Ivor - probably obvious stuff as far as you are concerned?).

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Thanks for this, yes I have been kindly sent his service record which answers a few questions. Thank you everyone for your help. :D

• 8 years later...
On 16/02/2009 at 16:13, IJDALLINGER said:

I have been researching the above officer. Over many years I have not yet been able to get to the bottom of the mystery (or not).

Hi

I have had the recent pleasure to have been commissioned to illustrate 2nd Lt Milburn dropping a note from a BE2E over the Wilkin & Sons Tiptree Jam factory. The note read ‘Send more jam’. The material pocket and streamer / note is in their museum. He wrote a few letters mostly ordering or reserving produce, one apologising that ‘red nose’ had crashed and he would not be flying over as much until she was repaired. I think the red nosed Snipes and BE2s were trainers. The mess would order marmalades and preserves and were very complimentary to Wilkins.

During research by Wilkins and Stow Marie’s, it turns out the reason that G Mucklow changed his name was because he was originally a soldier but deserted. He returned home and evaded capture for a year, having a few close shaves where he was spotted in a local church. He changed his name and re-enlisted into the RFC, I would suppose to possibly avoid capital punishment should he be rediscovered - circumstancial evidence perhaps bearing out he was not a coward?

Hope this helps!

My artwork will end up on a Tiptree ceramic Strawberry jam Kilner jar soon.

47705336-A2B5-40B3-B9B8-0FA073628FCF.jpeg

Edited by Wiscan
Grammer

D.O.B. 19/09/1888

Civilian Occupation Colour Factor

Date of Death 22/04/1918

Age at Death 31

RFC/RAF Squadrons 37

Aviator Certificate 2812

Date of Certificate 03/05/1916

Where Trained Hall School Hendon

A man with two identities, known to the Royal Flying Corp as Cyril Lawson Milburn, his real identity was in fact Edward Gerald Mucklow.

Born in 1885 in Lancashire, the son of Walter and Ada Mucklow. The family were quite well off; Walter is listed as a Dry Salter, employer, in the 1891 census. The household had 4 servants. Edward was educated at Rossall School in Fleetwood Lancashire. His father died in 1903 when he was 53. The 1911 census shows Edward as living at home with his mother and employed as a Colour Factor.

Shortly after war was declared Edward volunteered and joined the Royal Fusiliers. He was attested on 4th September 1914 and posted to 21st (Service) Battalion, as a private. A year later Edward is listed as a deserter after he ‘broke out of the Military Hospital at Lichfield’ on 19th September 1915. It is not known at the moment why he was in hospital; it is unlikely that he had seen service in France as his battalion had not gone to France until November 1915. The police were notified and he spent some time on the run.

He re invented himself as Cyril Lawson Milburn and applied to Join the Royal Flying Corps in May 1916 and was commissioned with effect from 3rd June 1916 as a 2nd Lieutenant. He claimed to be Canadian born with an education at Rossall School in Lancashire. He managed to obtain a report from his Housemaster by visiting the school personally according to a letter sent to the RFC dated 9th May 1916. On his application form he gives his occupation as a Research Colour Chemist. Cyril passed his Aeronautical certificate at Hendon at the Hall School, flying a Hall biplane on 3rd May 1916.

Milburn’s casualty card shows a further period of hospital treatment in February 1917 at No 20 General Hospital. This treatment appears to have carried on until June 1917. Milburn was posted to 37 squadron and was killed in a flying accident at the southern end of Stow Maries Airfield on 22nd April 1918. He sustained a broken neck in the accident

From 37RFC website

Edited by Wiscan