Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hornsey War Memorial

IanA

I am, temporarily, resident in London where I am visiting my granddaughter. Every day I pass the Hornsey War Memorial which appears to be a handsome edifice in the process of being turned into a lobby for a new hospital which has been built just behind it. Can anyone tell me what is actually going on? I also pass the Haig Memorial Hall - a Royal British Legion club opened by Sir Hubert Gough and Sir Philip Sassoon.

Ian

Thank you very kindly for that Jim. It appears from your link that they have demolished the old hospital but retained the entrance - which was the memorial. I can't say that the new build is sympathetic to the style of the memorial. If we have any 'locals' on forum they may be able to fill us in on the detail.

For anyone interested, here are a couple of pics of the architectural car crash which is the new Hornsey super-duper medical centre -

post-12111-1234973597.jpg

post-12111-1234973753.jpg

I assume there are panels inside displaying the names of the fallen. I did buy a local history book while I was there but, although the memorial gets a mention, there are no further details.