Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bickerdike

Yorkshire Dragoon

Hi all,

One of my contacts is starting a one name study for the name Bickerdike. If anyone has a Bickerdike in their studies would you mind contacting me and possibly sharing the info?

Cheers

Tim Bickerdike

Tim,

Have you looked at the CWGC site? There are 14 WW1 casualties with the surname Bickerdike listed, mostly having served in the British Army, but three were with the Canadians and one was Royal Navy.

Ian

Tim,

Have you looked at the CWGC site? There are 14 WW1 casualties with the surname Bickerdike listed, mostly having served in the British Army, but three were with the Canadians and one was Royal Navy.

Ian

Hi Ian...

Yes I printed these off a few years back when here was also some biographical info about them. I'd love to know about those who came back too, as you can imagine there are relativly few Bickerdikes in the world (compared with Smith, Jones, Patel or Chang ) and at some point all the Yorkshire Bickerikes are related.

Tim Bickerdike

And 67 listed on the National Archives medal index card lists....

Have you trawled through local newspaper archives of the Great War period for any write-ups or mentions of serving Bickerdikes? And Ancestry.com for Bickerdike service records?

Good hunting.

Ian

How about Capt Robert Bickerdike MC, Prince of Wales' Own, killed in action 20/11/1917, whose name is on my old school's war memorial? Don't know whether he was an old boy, a teacher, or both. For reference, the school was Cotton College near Oakamoor in North Staffordshire. It's closed now.

Tom

And 67 listed on the National Archives medal index card lists....

Have you trawled through local newspaper archives of the Great War period for any write-ups or mentions of serving Bickerdikes? And Ancestry.com for Bickerdike service records?

Good hunting.

Ian

Love looking through the local papers and finding stories, and this is what I'm looking for. The MIC are usefull but it's the story behind the names I'm after.

Tim B

How about Capt Robert Bickerdike MC, Prince of Wales' Own, killed in action 20/11/1917, whose name is on my old school's war memorial? Don't know whether he was an old boy, a teacher, or both. For reference, the school was Cotton College near Oakamoor in North Staffordshire. It's closed now.

Tom

Hi Tom...

Thanks for this information, this is just what I would like to see..

Cheers

Tim Bickerdike

I was prompted by the above to do a little research on Robert Bickerdike MC.

There's quite a bit of information about him on a website for the Barkston Ash war memorial where he is also commemorated (I'd let you have a link but that would be beyond my abilities!). There's a photo (though not a very good one) and an article about him from where I know not.

He was a teacher at Cotton College, having been to school elsewhere, and must have joined up shortly after the outbreak of the war. He was gazetted - if that's the right word- to the West Yorkshire Regiment in April 1915. He appears on the same page of the London Gazette (8 June 1916) as Wilfred Owen by the way.

His MC citation is in the supplement to the London Gazette of 16 August 1917.

I'm planning on looking up his records and the battalion war diary on a visit to Kew tomorrow. I'll let you know if there's anything of interest.

Tom