Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching for my grandad.

dynan

Hi all, I am a new member glad you meet you all.

I am trying to trace information about my Grandad who served in the East Kent Buffs.

His name is George Dynan East Kent RegimentG/5595Private.

I have found his medal card and his resting place at the Thiepval Memorial.

Would anyone have any more info about him of where he fought in France ie maps or photos or off the regiment.

Thank you

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Perhaps a Buffs expert may be able to help you more. In the meantime have you read the linked site 'The Long Lopng Trail'? Above/top of page.

It gives hints and tips on research. EG - have you tried on Ancestry.com for any surviving army service records?

I note from CWGC that he was with the 1st battalion - you can check the battalion war diary for what his battalion was doing around the date of his death. Have a check with the local newspaper archive for his home district - quite often the papers carried weekly casualty lists, sometimes with a write-up about the individual serviceman with a photograph.

As he is listed on the Thiepval Memorial it means that he unfortunately has no known grave, the sad fate of many of these Great War casualties.

Ian

You need Mick Mills. Have a search for the Buffs database thread and post you question on that thread. Mick will have something I'm sure. If you have a photo to grease his palm with he'd be delighted I know

Thank you Ian for your helpful reply, I did contact the National Army Museum and they did inform me that a service record does excist on Ancestry website , which I will obtain very soon.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kaz1000
Sorry should read East Kent Buffs pics 1914-15 Ist Battalion

I am also related to George Dynan, I think my parents have some postcards that he sent from France and may have a picture of him but I will need to check next time I visit - I have also sent you a longer message