Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

uniform question

nessanddave

Any ideas whether this is army or raf and roughly what year? We thought it was ww1, but he was supposed to have died in 1907....

Any info would be greatly appreciated!! PS. Sorry for the bad scan of the photo!!

Vanessa

post-44034-1234773109.jpg

Given the SD jacket with shoulder reinforcing patches, pleated pockets and the bandolier I would say Army and mounted duties; this could be Cavalry, Yeomanry, RHA, RFA, RGA, MMP, RE, ASC or Infantry Transport. There do not appear to be any shoulder titles being worn.

Many thanks for your help squirrel-I didn't expect such a fast response!

I have now found a possible record referring to "Army Cyclist Corps". Is this likely?

Oh, and of course Grumpy, RAF it is!

Its a possibility - however all but one of the photos of Army cyclist I have show no bandolier (the one that does shows volunteers with the earlier pattern bandolier and Soth African War style uniforms) . However there is a photo of Indian Army Cyclists on the WF in which they are wearing the bandolier.

post-9885-1234786701.jpeg

post-9885-1234786723.jpeg

Does he have a name? Maybe that might throw more light on his service?

I was told he was Edgar Allison from York, born in 1889, but comparing other photos I cant believe it to be the same person. I was wondering if it may be his father, John Richardson Allison. Am I right in assuming the uniform is WW1 or is it possibly earlier? That would help in figuring out which generation he is.

Thanks for any help!

The bandolier is of the pattern introduced in 1903 so it cannot be earlier than that. It was worn by all mounted troops, and by infantry and other dismounted troops before the introduction of the Pattern 1908 web equipment.

It could be Army Cyclist Corps as it is clearly a posed photo, when bandoliers and similar accoutrements were normally included.

Ron

Hello

There is a MIC for Edgar Allison No 22582 Army Cycling Corps and a MIC(SWB) for a John R Allison No 201722,4th Battalion Yorks and Lanc regt.

John's record shows a wound discharge 11/08/1917. Do you know if he was wounded in the war?

regards

David

Don't think the man in the photo died in 1907 if he is the Edgar who was born 1889 as he looks a lot older than 18.

John Richardson Allison was born in 1855 and died in 1907. If the uniform is no earlier than 1903 as suggested, then that rules him out, as I'm sure the man in the photos could not be in his 50s.

So I guess it must be Edgar, born in 1889.

Thanks so very much to everybody for helping, it is very much appreciated!

Vanessa

Hello

There is a MIC for Edgar Allison No 22582 Army Cycling Corps

David

Are you sure?

DescriptionMedal card of Allison, Edgar Corps Regiment NoRankArmy Catering Corps 22582 Private Date1914-1920Catalogue referenceWO 372/1cataloguelink.gif

Ian

There was no Army Catering Corps in WW1. Cooks were trained at Schools of Cookery, mainly run under the ASC, but the men remained with their parent units. Someone has misunderstood ACC when transcribing the records.

Cyclist, rather than Cycling, though.

This page may help Cyclists it appears to be a work in progress but gives an idea of the scope etc. Your man would appear not to have died in 1907 - perhaps thats when he enlisted?

Families can be funny things one of my grandmothers had ten brothers and sisters. From what she and two of her sisters said one of the brothers had died young - I was very much surprised to find that he lived to a ripe old age. There had obviously been some estrangement and he was just treated as if he had died.

If the photo does turn out to be Edgar Allison, then the family was correct, it was me that doubted that it could be. I have attached the other photo of Edgar, I find it hard to believe it is the same person, hence the reason I thought i could be his father (but he died in 1907, so this has now been discounted)

So presuming it is Edgar, there is only one military record for an Edgar Allison that I can find, and that is a medal roll index with his name and regiment number as 22582. How would I find further information such as address/DOB etc to show that it is the right Edgar Allison?

Thanks again for all the info already given, this website is proving to be quite a find!

post-44034-1234870587.jpg

This chap looks younger than the serviceman seen in the first post?

Ian

Yes, but the service photo looks older to me??? Hence the reason I thought the service photo was his Dad.

The lorry looks 1920s so post war sometime. If your man was born in 1889 he would be in his 30s then and the guy in the lorry photo looks younger than that.

The lorry looks 1920s so post war sometime. If your man was born in 1889 he would be in his 30s then and the guy in the lorry photo looks younger than that.

Agreed, and likely too young to have served in WW1?

Agreed, and likely too young to have served in WW1?

So, perhaps the service photo IS possibly Edgar (presuming its from WW1 he would be 25-30 in the photo) and its the 2nd photo that is incorrect.....????

To recap,

John died 1907 (aged 51 - I just saw it on Free BMD, so looks beyond doubt)

Edgar would be 25 in 1914, and thus possibly a candidate for the man in the WW1 uniform

'Lorry' (until we know a real name) looks not much more than a teenager in a 1920's view, and thus not likely to be the man in the uniform.

It seems you have three different men, and two different men in these images.

Ian

To recap,

John died 1907 (aged 51 - I just saw it on Free BMD, so looks beyond doubt)

Edgar would be 25 in 1914, and thus possibly a candidate for the man in the WW1 uniform

'Lorry' (until we know a real name) looks not much more than a teenager in a 1920's view, and thus not likely to be the man in the uniform.

It seems you have three different men, and two different men in these images.

Ian

Sounds spot on to me!

So where might I find Edgars military records? I cant for the life of me figure out the National Archives website.

In the meantime, I'm off to figure out who "Lorry" is!!

If they survive, they will be on Ancestry.com - either pension records or service records, but it is subscription basis. If you do not subscribe you can try asking a pal with Ancestry access to do a lookup for you.

If they survive, they will be on Ancestry.com - either pension records or service records, but it is subscription basis. If you do not subscribe you can try asking a pal with Ancestry access to do a lookup for you.

I'm already signed up to Ancestry where I found the Medal Roll Index for Edgar, but as that doesnt have any info other than his regiment number, I guess I'm at a dead end. Unless there are further records would be at NA??