Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How Are Names Shown on Tower Hill Memorial?

Pighills

I am visiting London this coming week, for 5 days. During that time I would like to go to Tower Hill and pay my respects and also look up the names of 'my men'.

I have looked on CWGC for their details and they are not given panel numbers. CWGC say:

TowerHill.png

Does this mean they list the men only by ship served on and, if so, I need to know which ship 'my men' served on - but how do I find that out please (with only 2 days before I go down?).

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Hi

The only way I can think of is by searching on the CWGC site for the individuals which (hopefully) lists the ship they were on. How many are you looking for?

Regards Barry

Kim

If memory serves me right, the ships are listed in alphabetical order.

The memorial is in two parts: one part resembles a small house, and is directly beside the road. This is the 14-18 part. The much larger 39-45 part is part of the gardens on Tower Hill and is a series of panels on walls, a bit like Tyne Cot. When you have finished looking at the 14-18 part, I recommend going round this bit too (I am sure you would anyway!). The number of names is breathtaking and it is very moving.

As for finding what ship someone was one, I recommend posting in Ships and Navies, quick!

Best wishes,

W.

A quick look on their CWGC records shows which ships they served on - I should now be able to find them easily enough (I hope!!).

Thanks for your interest.

I certainly will take some photos to show.

If there is any someone would like taking do shout up.

We have rooms at the Premier Inn - the old County Hall. We usually stay futher out but find it a bind travelling in and out each day, thought we'd have a change and stay in the hub of it all.

We have a trip around the Houses of Parliament booked and a visit to Greenwich observatory. Apart from that we shall just take it as it comes (but I expect we'll be doing the observatory twice, my daughter's planet mad and got a telescope for Christmas).

Whilst you are in the area, if you walk round to Tower Hill Station ( behind the memorial garden) you will see a house almost next to it with a blue plaque on the wall, this is Tubby Clayton's vicarage when he was at the church opposite the memorial, I understand that his tomb is also in the church.

Further along the Embankment is Cleopatria's Needle, worth seeing in itself, but if you look at the right hand lion you will see bomb damage from a bomb dropped in I think 1917, there is also a small plaque with details regarding the incident on the base of the lion. Across the road to the needle is the memorial from the people of Belgium to the U.K.

All worth a visit

Enjoy your trip.

Stuart

Cleoptra's Needle is a long way from Tower Hill but very close to Embankment Station. Note that the lions are facing in; they were supposed to face out but the installer (can't think of a better word) got it wrong and they have stayed like it ever since!

Thanks Wainfleet, I noted that on the map, but from the look of it it hould be a pleasant walk from County Hall to Cleopatra's Needle then a short underground ride to Tower Hill?

Yes, that is a good way to do it. You could walk over either the footbridge at Hungerford bridge (on your right as you stand in front of County Hall facing the river) or over Westminster Bridge (on your left), which I think is pleasanter and more straightforward. Turning r at W Bridge, a short walk takes you past the Battle of Britain and RAF memorials (if you think you can bear to look at them without getting all memorialed out), under Hungerford Bridge and C Needle is just a bit further along on the right.

Kim,

having visited Tower Hill last autumn, some things to be in mind of if you're trying to take photos:

Inside the memorial is quite gloomy, and the panels tend to be a dark green bronze. Panels are smallish with ornate raised borders which makes them look a bit like green bricks, and the overall effect if you're trying to capture a particular one in your viewfinder is confusing.

If your ship panels are high up inside you'll need a decent zoom function on your camera and maybe even have to employ flash (I'm tempted to say take a good strong torch!!) Lower down at least some daylight has the chance to get in to help. It was a fine afternoon when I went, so what it's like on a cloudy winter's day I dread to think.

Alphabetical order of ships, with home port. Fishing vessels separately at the end. Master's name is first (if he was lost), then crew alphabetically. Just surname & initials - no ranks/ratings or even gender differentiation. Note the list of crew runs in column of names downwards - the people on adjoining panels are usually not from the same ship unless there were lots of casualties (eg, Lusitania) taking up two or more columns.

Outside is better, but if the ship panels are on the side overlooking the road you have to find a way to stand on the pavement and crane upwards, whilst dodging the tourists who are streaming towards the Tower!

Trinity House is at the back of the Memorial, and if open I believe they have the CWGC printed memorial registers which can be viewed.

Enjoy!

LST_164

Thank you very much - most handy hints!!

PS: My oh is quite tall, I think he might be voluntering to give me a lift up on his shoulders, so if you see one very giggly woman and one doubled over man complaining of being in pain over the next few weeks you'll know it's us :lol::lol: