Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for an RFA Driver

tenlas

Hi

I am looking for information on a soldier in the RFA No 876309 Driver - Thomas Pascall. I am not sure he is my man yet but he is the only Thomas P in the NA medal index.

I have a reference from a photo that he might have served with "345 Brigade RFA D. Sub. D Battery". I originally posted on the "Units and Formations" but it was suggested that I would be better posting here.

This should be a link to the original post but I'm not sure I have done it correctly

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117176

IF you can give me any more info on the man or where the brigade/battery went during the war I would be grateful. The last poster on original message said the RFAs were notoriously difficult but if anyone could it would be the people on here.

Thanks

Keith

Keith,

Links not working

Found a Thomas Osborne PASCALL on SDGW, but be was with the Royal Fusiliers

Grant

Hi Steve,

You might be right, to be honest I do not know what to expect. Is it possible to get a home address or town from his military record.

At the moment I have a photo with the label as mentioned on it. Behind that photo in the album was a field service post card addressed to his home from a Walter, which was Thomas's middle name. Until I found this photo & card I did not know he was in the army. It was widely talked about his brother (my granddad) being wounded and another brother being killed. But his two other brothers had never been mentioned.

Now I am wondering if the other brother George William Pascall was also involved. There are 3 George W Pascalls on the MIC. But going from what I have seen of Thomas's MIC there is nothing there that will tell me which if any is mine.

There was only one Thomas Pascall on the MIC from RFA. That by the way was where I got his Regimental number from. So at the moment I have nothing to tie this Thomas in to the one I am looking for. Even an age would help. But as I say I do not know what is possible.

To recap there were 4 brothers last name Pascall or possibly Paskall

George William in the 1911 census age 30

Arthur Edward killed and verified as our family

Ernest Stephen wounded I have his paybook and number to verify with MIC

Thomas Walter in the 1911 census age 13/14 possible MIC entry for him and a photo with ref to RFA

If nothing more can be done thanks for your time and patience. If it is possible to find more info then thank you very much I will appreciate it.

One last thing, from Dick F's reply if there is no diary does that mean there is no record of where they went for the entire war?

Apologies for my ignorance on these matters.

Best regards

Keith

So we're looking for a Thomas Walter PASCALL (or PASKALL) ?

...just to save me wasting any more time searching for the wrong person

Grant

Keith,

Could this be him?

Births Sep 1897

-------------------------------------------------

Paskall Walter Thomas Ipswich 4a 911

There is also a Walter Pascall in the British Army WWI Pension Records on Ancestry.co.uk

David

The 1901 Census index has this family, which must be yours:

George Paskall 54 Suffolk East Bargholt Ipswich St Matthew Engine Fitter

Eliza Paskall 43 Suffolk Ipswich Ipswich St Matthew

George W Paskall 19 Suffolk Ipswich Ipswich St Matthew Iron Moulder

Arthur E Paskall 11 Suffolk Ipswich Ipswich St Matthew Juvenile

Ernest S Paskall 6 Suffolk Ipswich Ipswich St Matthew Juvenile

Walter T Paskall 3 Suffolk Ipswich Ipswich St Matthew Juvenile

Yet again his first name is given as Walter.

David

David

Yes the civillian information you have in both messages is correct as I understand it. With Thomas his birth cert is Walter Thomas but his marriage cert is Thomas Walter. With all of them the 1901 census and those before have them as Paskalls where as the 1911 census has them as Pascalls.

Does the army pension record you found give an address or anything that would tie in? The medal record i found has catologue ref WO/372/15 image ref 23492 and is for Pascall Thomas.

Thanks for your help

Keith

David,

Looking at the census data that you mentioned, I suppose it is possible that George W. was in a " Starred" or reserved ocupation being an Iron Moulder so might not have served in the army during WW1.

Keith