Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Replacement medals

Stephen Callaghan

Hi all,

I have a medal card to a soilder who was killed in action, on it there is a note saying the medals where reissued. Why might they have been reissued to a soldier KIA?

Thanks,

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I think the WWI medals were issued after the war and, where a soldier had beeen killed, they were sent to their next of kin, who had to sign an official receipt. As WWI medals were named with the recipient's details around the rim, there may have been a mistake, with the next of kin sending them back to be corrected.

There may be other explanations and someone else with more knowledge might be able to shed light on these.

Best wishes

Rockfors

The medals would have been sent to the next of kin at the address held in his records. The medals would have gone out any time between 1919 and 1922. If, as often happened, the next of kin had moved, the medals would be returned. If, some time later, the next of kin made enquiries to have the medals re-issued they would have been forwarded to him/her.

Ken

I have also come across MIC that were reissued if stolen and reported to the police (this is usually noted on the MIC as late as 1939) the rules for reissue I believe were failry similiar as today eg housefire etc then they could be reissued

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Cheers,

Stephen