The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

251st Brigade RFA - 50th Northumbrian Division

jollyfifer

Hello, I am trying to find out information about the 251st Bde RFA TF and the 50th Northumbrian Division during 1916. I recently got a MM to a man in the mentioned artillery brigade and am trying to research him further.

Many Thanks

jonny

Jonny

CCLI Bde were originally 2nd Northumbrian Bde consisting of 1/1, 1/2 and 1/3 East Riding Bty's which became A,B & C Bty's respectively. 1916 involved in battles of Flers-Courcelette, Morval and Le Transloy

Regards

Paul

Many Thanks Paul. I found a letter mentioning he was awarded the MM on the 22 June 1916 (LG 27 October 1916) for his 'good work' at Kemmel. Was this near the battles mentioned?

Jonny

Many Thanks Paul. I found a letter mentioning he was awarded the MM on the 22 June 1916 (LG 27 October 1916) for his 'good work' at Kemmel. Was this near the battles mentioned?

Jonny

Hi Jonny, we have two Seaham lads buried at Kemmel Chateau Military Cemetery. They are

Gunner William Bell 1841. 1/3rd Northumbrian Brigade RFA. KIA 27/4/16

Cpl/Saddler Samuel Bolton 1287. 1/3rd Northumbrian Brigade RFA. Died 3/6/16.

Despite over a month between their deaths they are buried next to each other.

Kemmel Chateau Mil Cem is approx 8km south of Ypres on the Belgian side of the French/Belgian border

Regards

John

post-28333-1234764254.jpg

Thanks John for sharing that, it is strange how they are buried next to eachother.

The man I am researching is Edward Dowey, from Jarrow Upon Tyne who joined the 5th Durham (Howitzer) RFA TF in 1911 of the 4th Northumbrian Brigade. He was awarded the Military medal for his actions on the 22nd June 1916 at Kemmel. His discharge cert. reveals that he was classed 30% disabled from the effects of gas and GSW ankle. What does GSW stand for?

Regards

Jonny

Hello Jonny,

GSW usually stands for Gun Shot Wound but I have come across instances where it could be interpreted as Gas Shell Wound.

Regards

Ron

Thanks Ron, that clears that questions up. Is there a war dairy available for any of the above RFA units.

Regards

Jonny