Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefields Tour

mr.jingles

Martin,

Boldon Colliery is in the registration district of South Shields.

Regards Charles

Thanks Charles, so that may be the same Michael Riley. I will have a look again.

Martin

Thanks Charles, so that may be the same Michael Riley. I will have a look again.

Martin

Charles,

I think that this is the same Michael Riley.

Martin

Charles,

I think that this is the same Michael Riley.

Martin

Boldon Colliery as far as I know has always been in the Jarrow Constituency

It certainly is today having 3 Jarrow Councillors

According to South Shields Register Office

Birth 1896

Michael RILEY

Register: 140

Entry: 220 District: SS/Jarrow.A

So Michael Riley would of been registered in the Jarrow Register Office for a birth in 1896

But as the Jarrow Register Office no longer exists (closed) his record is now at South Shields Register Office

Birth 1896

Michael RILEY

So Michael Riley would of been registered in the Jarrow Register Office for a birth in 1896

But as the Jarrow Register Office no longer exists (closed) his record is now at South Shields Register Office

Hi,

Thanks for that. If I went to South Shields Register Office, would I be able to obtain a copy of the birth certificate.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Birth 1896

Michael RILEY

Hi,

Just to let you know that today I have been to the Register Office in South Shields, and obtained a copy of his birth certificate. He was actually born on the 10th February 1896. My Wife and I visited his grave in Belgium on the 11th February this year, but obviously I did not know his actually birthday then. While I was there, I also saw the details of his Mother and Father. Thanks.

Martin

• 1 month later...

Just to add, I now have a Death Certificate for my Great Uncle, Michael Riley.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
Just to add, I now have a Death Certificate for my Great Uncle, Michael Riley.

Martin

How did you get a death certificate for him?

Where from?

You could not of got it from South Shields surely?

Please excuse my ignorance ......

But if you can receive a death certificate for a servicemen who died overseas in WW1 how does one obtain it?

How did you get a death certificate for him?

Where from?

But if you can receive a death certificate for a servicemen who died overseas in WW1 how does one obtain it?

Hi,

I got the death certificate from the General Register Office,PO Box 2,Southport,Merseyside,PR8 2JD. The web address is:www.ips.gov.uk/gro I just had to give them all the details that I had of Michael, and they sent me a copy of the death overseas certificate.

Martin

• 1 year later...

QUOTE (Big Willy @ May 19 2009, 01:16 AM) How did you get a death certificate for him?

Where from?

Hi,

I got the death certificate from the General Register Office,PO Box 2,Southport,Merseyside,PR8 2JD. The web address is:www.ips.gov.uk/gro I just had to give them all the details that I had of Michael, and they sent me a copy of the death overseas certificate.

Martin

Hi,

An update to my research into Michael Riley. I ahd originally thought that my Sister and I were the only living relatives of Michael. Through another forum, I have found his Nephew, who I was led to believe had passed away. He has two Daughters who I had never met. Today I have just visited them and will now keep in touch. I have a question to ask now: Does anyone on the forum have any details of the action from the book by E.Wyrall, The West Yorkshire Regiment. Thanks.

Martin

• 2 years later...

Not been on the forum for a while, but my Wife and I are hoping to go back to Belgium early next year for another visit to Michael`s grave.

Martin

• 3 months later...

Hi,

An update to my research. I originally said that Michael Riley was born in Boldon Colliery, he was actually born in Primrose Hill Hospital, which is in Jarrow, on 10/02/1896.This is still known as Primrose Hill. Michael lived in Boldon Colliery, and the house he lived in is still there. My Wife and I are going on a battlefields tour in September, so hopefully we will visit his grave again .

Martin