The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Battlefields Tour

mr.jingles

Hi,

I joined the forum in January. My Wife and I have just returned from a visit to Belgium and Ypres, and a small tour of battlefields. I also visited my Great Uncle, who was in the West Yorshire Regiment, and killed in March 1916. He has a marked grave in the Elzenwalle Brasserie Cemetery. It was a great moment for us to visit his grave, as none of my family had know what had happend to him.

Martin

Martin,

Glad you enjoyed your trip, I bet you are already planning or wishing for another visit.

Mick

Martin,

Firstly, Welcome to the forum.

If you post his name here, the experts may be able to find some info on him.

I had a look in the CWGC cemetery listing. There are five soldiers of the Regiment buried in that cemetery who lost their lives in March 1916, four who died on 28th March and another who died the day before, so we have five candidates.

Cheers Andy.

Martin, welcome to the forum, but a kindly warning. Both this forum and battlefield touring will become compulsive. (And it's Great). You have Pals all over the world now.

Regards

John

The first visit is always special. I am sure it will not be the last.

Welcome aboard this forum, as said it is addictive. I would purchase a comfy chair!

Regards

Arm

Martin,

I had a look in the CWGC cemetery listing. There are five soldiers of the Regiment buried in that cemetery who lost their lives in March 1916, four who died on 28th March and another who died the day before, so we have five candidates.

Cheers Andy.

Hi,

Thanks for the very good welcome to the Great War Forum.

My Great Uncles details are as follows: Private Michael Riley,12th Bn., West Yorkshire Regt(Prince of Wales`s Own) service no:17339 and he died on Tuesday,28th March 1916. I have some details of his last action, taken from the West Yorkshire Regiment in the War 1914-1918 by Everard Wyrall. I actually started my research 10 years ago, but this has been the first chance I have had to visit the grave. Michael was actually born in Boldon Colliery, then in County Durham, now Tyne and Wear. He was my Grandmother`s Brother. The thing I am not really sure about is why he would actually join the West Yorkshire Regiment, and not one from the area. I also have some details taken from the 1901 census, and the house he was born and lived in, is still in Boldon Colliery. I also belong to Boldon Colliery, although I now live in Jarrow. Can the names of the others killed be found on the CWGC website? Thanks

Martinj

Martin,

I had a look in the CWGC cemetery listing. There are five soldiers of the Regiment buried in that cemetery who lost their lives in March 1916, four who died on 28th March and ahe names nother who died the day before, so we have five candidates.

Cheers Andy.

Hi,

I have found the names of the rest of the men who lost their lives. The one who died on the 27th March was a Lieutenant, who I presume was their Commanding Officer.

Martin

Michael was originaly posted to the East Yorkshire Regiment with number 15323, and then onto the West Yorkshire Regt, this may have happened on the same day or the day after, on arriving at the Depot at York in 1914. This in its self was not unusual, as there was alot of commotion at this period in time of trying to post men to all the new service Battalions.

Below his is MIC.

post-9-1234789312.jpg

Regards Kevin

And the SDGW from Ancestry, donot taken any notice of the Theatre of War, as this is a glitch in Ancestry.

post-9-1234789386.jpg

Regards Kevin

Nip into Sunderland Library Family History Centre in Fawcett St and have a look at the Sunderland Daily Echo. We have found several good snippets about soldiers in them.

John

Martin

Michael was originaly posted to the East Yorkshire Regiment with number 15323, and then onto the West Yorkshire Regt, this may have happened on the same day or the day after, on arriving at the Depot at York in 1914. This in its self was not unusual, as there was alot of commotion at this period in time of trying to post men to all the new service Battalions.

Below his is MIC.

post-9-1234789312.jpg

Regards Kevin

And the SDGW from Ancestry, donot taken any notice of the Theatre of War, as this is a glitch in Ancestry.

post-9-1234789386.jpg

Regards Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks very much for that information, how did you get it? It says that Michael was born in Jarrow, he was actually born in Boldon Colliery, and lived in Boldon. Maybe he joined up in Jarrow. He had two sisters(one of which was my Grandmother). Thanks

Martin

Martin

There is some error'r on the Ancestry SDGW, maybe someone can check the CD for you?

As for address, it depends how it was wrote out, as in a lot of the case's i look at in Thornaby, these tend to come under Stockton, as the postal address then as is now Thornaby-on-Tees, Stockton-on-Tees. So if this was wrote on there service records, every thing would come under Stockton-on-Tees and not Thornaby-on-Tees, the Thornaby would only come into play if the Stockton was never used. Maybe this was the case with Michael, he wrote Bolden Colliery, Jarrow, so the Jarrow was used, just a thought.

PS

Both item's came from the Ancestry Site.

Regards Kevin

Mick

I always say, that local knowledge beats everything else :D .

Regards Kevin

Or Boldon/ Boldon colliery fall within the parish of Jarrow.

Mick

Thanks. Yes,I believe that Boldon Colliery was within the parish of Jarrow in those days. I had not thought of that,anyway I that will not be my first and last visit to his grave.

Regards

Martin

Martin

It looks as if Michael was sent out as Reinforcements for the 12th Battalion, after the Battle of Loos, i suspect Michael came from the 13th or 14th Reserve Battalions of the West Yorkshir Regiment.

Ca Ira

Regards Kevin

Heres the SDGW entry.

Mick

Thanks again for that Mick.

Regards

Martin

Michael was Attested to the East Yorkshire Regiment on the 11/11/1914.

Regards Charles

Thanks very much for that. After that I presume that he went into the West Yorkshire Regiment. How do you find out this information.

Martin

Martin,

I have a Database of men serving in the East Yorkshire Regiment and his number is with a group which joined in the North east on the 11/11/1914.

Regards Charles

Martin,

I have a Database of men serving in the East Yorkshire Regiment and his number is with a group which joined in the North east on the 11/11/1914.

Regards Charles

Charles,

Is it possible that you could send me the database please. At the moment, I am trying to find out his birthday. I know that in the 1901 census, he was 5 years old, so that would put his birth year at 1896. Thanks.

Martin

Martin,

Missed the Built up of the thread since my first reply. Good to see you have had quite a few responses.

Here are the details for the 1901 census for Michael, and the rest of the family. The family lived at 3 Davison Street where his father, Anthony was a Coal Miner. 33 year old Robert Smith was also a coal miner, as were most of the other bread winners in the street. The Smith family is listed in the census as visitors.

Both Anthony and his wife, Catherine, were born in Ireland, but all the children were born in Boldon Colliery.

Name: Michael Riley

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1896

Relation: Son

Father's Name: Anthony

Where born: Boldon Colliery, Durham, England

Civil Parish: Boldon Colliery

Ecclesiastical parish: Hedworth St Nicholas

County/Island: Durham

Registration district: South Shields

Sub registration district: Jarrow

ED, institution, or vessel: 49

Household schedule number: 202

Household Members:

Name Age

Anthony Riley 33

Catherine Riley 33

Annie Riley 9

Mary Riley 7

Michael Riley 5

Frank Riley 3

Cathine Riley 6 Mo

Robert Smith 33

Mary Smith 35

John Smith 2

So, there is some more info for you. Had a scan through the CWGC site for a 'Frank Riley' there are a few, but none with a positive match to the family. Far too many possibilities on Ancestry to narrow down to see if Frank was involved in the war through a MIC. Don't even ask about the son of Robert and Mary Smith! :lol:

Cheers Andy

Martin,

Missed the Built up of the thread since my first reply. Good to see you have had quite a few responses.

Here are the details for the 1901 census for Michael, and the rest of the family. The family lived at 3 Davison Street where his father, Anthony was a Coal Miner. 33 year old Robert Smith was also a coal miner, as were most of the other bread winners in the street. The Smith family is listed in the census as visitors.

Both Anthony and his wife, Catherine, were born in Ireland, but all the children were born in Boldon Colliery.

Name: Michael Riley

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1896

Relation: Son

Father's Name: Anthony

Where born: Boldon Colliery, Durham, England

Civil Parish: Boldon Colliery

Ecclesiastical parish: Hedworth St Nicholas

County/Island: Durham

Registration district: South Shields

Sub registration district: Jarrow

ED, institution, or vessel: 49

Household schedule number: 202

Household Members:

Name Age

Anthony Riley 33

Catherine Riley 33

Annie Riley 9

Mary Riley 7

Michael Riley 5

Frank Riley 3

Cathine Riley 6 Mo

Robert Smith 33

Mary Smith 35

John Smith 2

So, there is some more info for you. Had a scan through the CWGC site for a 'Frank Riley' there are a few, but none with a positive match to the family. Far too many possibilities on Ancestry to narrow down to see if Frank was involved in the war through a MIC. Don't even ask about the son of Robert and Mary Smith! :lol:

Cheers Andy

Andy,

Thanks for that info. I have a copy of that anyway, that I got quite a while ago. Mary Riley was my Grandmother and the house they lived in is still there. My Wife and I also belong to Boldon Colliery, which is also where I served my apprenticeship, in the late 60`s early 70`s. My Grandmother was born in April 1894, but it was just Michael that we did not have any actual birthday for. My great Aunt, Anne Riley had a business on Harrow Road in London. My Sister and I used to go down there, during the school holidays. I always remember everyone going on about Michael Riley and what actually happened to him during the Great War. I originally got his details through the CWGC website in 1999, but this has been my first chance to go and visit his grave. My Mother who sadly passed away in 2007 would have been very pleased to see photos of his grave. Also, the Catherine Riley aged 6months mentioned, we have no details of her. My Grandmother, and Aunt Anne nerver mentioned Catherine. We knew Frank Riley, but he lived in Felling, Gateshead. I don`t think that the Family bothered much with him. This research is becoming quite compulsive with me. Thanks

Martin

Martin,

My Database does not have many DOB just ages if I find them, how about his birth certificate? try this guy;

Births 1896 Riley Michael S.Shields Vol 10a Page 848

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Regards Charles

Charles,

Thanks very much. The Michael Riley born 1896, S.Shields Vol 10a Page 848 is not my Michael Riley. I do know that he was born in Boldon Colliery, and not South Shields.

Martin