Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/ Hampshire Regt on or around 18/12/14

priv

Dear All,

I have previously posted re this battallion as I have a group of 5 medals to one member. I have now received the most comprehensive research on an individuals 21 year service with this regiment that I have ever seen. S Africa twice, Bermuda, Malta then F&F on 22/08/14. Whilst on his second stint to SA he joined the Mounited Infantry where his Lt is quoted as describing him as "Very Good".

It is now confirmed that A/Sgt P.J. Sullivan became a POW on 18th December 1914 - does anyone have access to any records that may sho what the 1st Hampshires were doing at that time and where ?

Any infor would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

James

I use the little red book entitled "Locations of British Cavalry, Infantry & Machine Gun Units 1914-1924" for most of my info. The following is from that book for the Hamps Reg 1st Btn.....

France & Flanders 23/8/14. Lost nearly 600 officers & men on the first day of the Somme. It wasn't until 9/4/20 that the Btn moved to Turkey.

Hope this helps.

Les.

Guest Pete Wood

James

I suggest you drop a line to Marc Thompson, who is a member of this forum.

He is the Hampshire Guru.

Looking at SDGW, the 19th of December was a bad day for 1 Hants with 12 men killed in action.

These men are buried in Lancashire Cottage cemetery, which is near Ploegsteert - and this should help you place their movements around this time.

Guest Pete Wood

You're right, of course, Ian.

But (in this case) when I tried to follow the movments on 1st Hants on The Long Long Trail, it directed me to 3 Division (instead of 4 Division).

So when I manually typed in 4 Division's web address http://www.1914-1918.net/4div.htm it doesn't appear to show the 1st Hants in the period that James is looking for. By that, I mean The Long Long Trail shows the Hants at the Battle of Messines - and then at 2nd Ypres.

So, to use a Blackadder line, "I know I'm as thick as a whale omlette," where have I gone wrong....? Take me through it slowly, cos you know I need to be shown everything at least twice before it sinks in.

James,

1st Hampshire's were in positions near Le Gheer, Ploegsteert in early December 1914. The War Diary records for the period 1st-18th December 'practically no fighting' and flooded trenches in constant need of repair. Casualties 11 killed, 27 wounded.

On 19th December the 1st Hampshire's assisted 1st Somerset Light Infantry and 1st Rifle Brigade in attack on 'German House' and 'The Birdcage'. The following report in the Regimental Journal summarises the action:

"On the morning of December 19th, five weeks after we first occupied these trenches, our howitzers and guns, siege and field, opened a heavy fire on the German trenches and batteries, which was kept up for about five hours. The actual assault was timed for 2.30 p.m., but in the last half hour of the bombardment, when it attained its greatest violence, part of our forward trench was destroyed by our own heavy shells, and some of the troops drawn up for the assault were knocked out by our own shrapnel. In spite of this, the troops went forward with vigour, but the right assault was badly shaken and delayed. The distance to be covered was not more than 300 yards anywhere, but in spite of all the violence of the bombardment, many of the enemy stood their ground, and the machine guns were well served as ever. Casualties were very heavy, but in places the assaulting troops reached the obstacles in front of the German trench. The ruined houses in their salient were gallantly carried by the 1st Rifle Brigade, the Somersets pushed over on their left, and a platoon from our D company got forward with the Rifle Brigade. But our particular task was to cover this advance by fire and make good the ground won. But to entrench in the horrid, miry swamp into which our men had penetrated was impossible, and after dark orders were issued to fall back to our original line. This was no easy operation. The rain had been falling all day, it got worse after nightfall, and it was pitch dark. It took time and care to get in touch with the various attacking detachments lying down in close proximity to the enemy, and to organise their withdrawal.

Morning found us in our old positions, but the enemy had not ventured out of their main line again, and our patrols occupied the ground we had gained, and still do so. The results seemed insignificant for such heavy casualties."

The 1st Hampshire's losses during this action were 1 officer and 12 men killed, 1 officer and 25 men wounded.

Marc

One of the 12 men killed in this action was from my village. 5987 L/Cpl Frederick Smith who is remembered on the Ploegsteert Memorial to the Missing. He was the first of 16 men from Swanwick to be killed in action. I'll be visiting him in April.

Marc, thanks for the information.

Many thanks for all your comments - I had found the incorrect linking with the Divisions the other day too !

Thank you especially to Mark for the extracts on this Battallion. The research I have to date is most interesting - this fellow certainly had a travelled time in the Army, SA twice and mounted infantry, Malta, Bermuda, France and then a long stint in Germany before being transferred to Holland prior to 11/11/18.

This is what it is all about !

James