Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Taking the school to Belgium

stephen p nunn

Could Burlington have done more himself?

Yes, I have thought of that.

However, there were at least 10 of them misbehaving, and spread over the whole site. I did approach those in charge as I said but if they can't/won't do anything what can I, a stranger and much older than the participants, do?

Good morning all,

Having accompanied several school trips abroad from the UK and witnessed other school trips I would have to say that the majority I come across are well-behaved and a credit to their country. Given all the risk-assessments you have to complete (the last one I did was 56 pages long !!!) I am always surprised when I do come across a school party that is allowed to misbehave; perhaps that is why it is more often than not from another country ?

It's possible that some of the young people with phones were taking photographs.

In the places I visit (the Vosges), there are no British parties of school students, but a good number of French ones. The behaviour which many of the teachers tolerate is shocking and I know that many British teachers would simply put the lot of them back on the coach and take them home. I was walking Barrenkopf last autumn and saw a French coach disembark at le Linge, which is one of the profoundly 'sacred' sites of French remembrance. Instantly the monument across the road was swarming with lads, boys kicking footballs against it, kids and staff lighting up in the woods, and after half an hour's walking I could still hear the school party romping and whooping its way round the site of le Linge. This was not a one-off. I have often wondered exactly what the point of some of their visits was, because for any thoughtful students, reflection would have been impossible.

Gwyn

I am sorry, but I do not have a lot of faith in the young or, rather, those in charge of them. Doubtless this is coloured by the behaviour mentioned below and I DON'T want to disparage the very many Pals and their pupils who spend so much of their time explaining to the new generation what happened. They do a marvellous job.

Consider the following at Langemark German Cemetery. A group of some 30 14-16's, (M&F), on an organised school visit from the UK.

1/3 were phoning/texting, mainly females

1/3 were using the horizontal grave markers as jumping stones.

1/3 were actually interested and respectful.

All volume measurements approx. you understand.

When I approached one of the so-called adults said to be in charge to protest about the 1/3 who were using the grave markers as jumping stones the response I got, believe it or not was 'we can't do anything; this is what their parents let them do'

I do hope that if any of this party are members of this Forum, they perhaps could respond to let me know why this had taken place.

Martin

This is a sad development to this thread. Whilst Martin has had that experience I never have and certainly wouldn't tolerate it of the youngsters in my care. Some children do misbehave in this world that we live in - but then so do plenty of adults. I am looking forward to the trip as I know are the (generally very well behaved) pupils and other adults.

SPN

Maldon

Every adult I have met who remembers going to the British sector battlefields on a school trip remembers it as a profoundly thought-changing experience. I'm sure your young people are looking forward to the visit with enthusiasm and I hope they (and you) have a wonderful time.

Gwyn

Every adult I have met who remembers going to the British sector battlefields on a school trip remembers it as a profoundly thought-changing experience. I'm sure your young people are looking forward to the visit with enthusiasm and I hope they (and you) have a wonderful time.

Gwyn

Thanks Gwyn. Kind and encouraging of you. We will have a special time and I am most grateful to you and many other Pals for your support and optimistic views about the young and the future. After all, if we aren't encouraging of them what is the future for the Forum and why did all those brave lads (of similar age) make the ultimate sacrifice all those years ago?

SPN

Maldon

It's possible that some of the young people with phones were taking photographs.

Sorry Gwyn, I know when a photo is being taken and when a text is being sent or a call made.

Unless of course they had remote viewfinders! :lol:

To end my humble contribution to this thread, I do have memories of really great kids in the Cemeteries

The problem is that the bad, when you see it, can tend to obliterate the good.

I do believe that there are really great school & youth tours, and how good they are in most part depends on the knowledge and commitment of their 'leaders'.

Enough said from me I think

Martin

To end my humble contribution to this thread, I do have memories of really great kids in the Cemeteries

The problem is that the bad, when you see it, can tend to obliterate the good.

I do believe that there are really great school & youth tours, and how good they are in most part depends on the knowledge and commitment of their 'leaders'.

Enough said from me I think

Martin

Yes and thanks for finishing on a positive note.

SPN

Maldon

• 2 weeks later...
Yes and thanks for finishing on a positive note.

SPN

Maldon

Took the school out to Belgium yesterday. The weather was great, the children were very well behaved and very moved (especially when we laid a wreath to the Maldon lads at Tyne Cot). There is so much good and promise in the young.

SPN

Maldon.

Took the school out to Belgium yesterday. The weather was great, the children were very well behaved and very moved (especially when we laid a wreath to the Maldon lads at Tyne Cot). There is so much good and promise in the young.

SPN

Maldon.

Maldon, that was my experience when I was over with my son's school. Stephen counts his laying of the wreath at the Menin Gate one of the high points of his life.

Maldon, that was my experience when I was over with my son's school. Stephen counts his laying of the wreath at the Menin Gate one of the high points of his life.

Lovely - good for him. Thanks for your support Michael.

SPN

Maldon

I have had cause over the years to chat with many French tourist-office staff in various parts of Northern France.

In the battlefield areas, I have heard nothing but good reports from them of British school groups. These were offered spontaneously; I had not brought up the subject. One woman told me how she had been reduced to tears herself when guiding a British party to the cemeteries, when one of the teenage girls read out poems at the gravesides.

And they all said how different this was to the attitude of the French schoolkids.

Your trip sounds a huge success, Maldon. I think the secret lies in the planning and preparation.

Angela

I have had cause over the years to chat with many French tourist-office staff in various parts of Northern France.

In the battlefield areas, I have heard nothing but good reports from them of British school groups. These were offered spontaneously; I had not brought up the subject. One woman told me how she had been reduced to tears herself when guiding a British party to the cemeteries, when one of the teenage girls read out poems at the gravesides.

And they all said how different this was to the attitude of the French schoolkids.

Your trip sounds a huge success, Maldon. I think the secret lies in the planning and preparation.

Angela

Many thanks Angela. It was a great experience and I can't wait to do it all again.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon