Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt George Charles Peel-Davis

Peter Mc

Can anyone help me please? I'm trying to trace the service of George Charles Peel-Davis; born 5 Dec 1894 or 5 Dec 1897 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Known to have served as an officer in WW1 (British Army) and disbanded by 1920. I'm having trouble tracing any reference to him - does anyone know of him or can point me in a positive direction? Thanks!

I found this in the London Gazzette, Might be your guy!

4th Battalion, Dorsetshire Regiment;

Private George Charles Peel Davis to be

Second Lieutenant. Dated 25th February,

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/290...upplements/1960

Hope this helps!

Lisa

Gosh that's fantastic Lisa and Garry! Can't think where on earth I went wrong with the MIC's because I could get no combination of Peel Davis, George Charles or otherwise to get me a hit - most frustrating. Thank you both very much.

Hi,

Is this the same man.

Regards Mark

passenger transcript details

Name: George Charles PEEL-DAVIS

Date of departure: 15 February 1923

Port of departure: London

Passenger destination port: Melbourne, Australia

Passenger destination: Melbourne, Australia

Date of Birth: 1898 (calculated from age)

Marital status: Married

Sex: Male

Passenger recorded on: Page 13 of 22

The following people with the same last name travelled on this voyage: -

Mrs Daphne Gertrude PEEL-DAVIS

Joyce PEEL-DAVIS

Mary Patricia PEEL-DAVIS

Robert PEEL-DAVIS

Ship:BENDIGO

Official Number:145603

Master's name:Capt J Mciborland

Steamship Line:P.& O. Branch Service

Where bound:Australia

Square feet:20366

Registered tonnage:7925

Passengers on voyage:623

Thats interesting Mark. I didn't expect that he had been married and had 3 children by then but the age and name match up. The Australian War Memorial also has a 'Captain Peel-Davis' which again may be a clue but he didn't leave for Australia it appears before 1923.

Doesn't help much for WW1 but this man has a WW2 service record on the NAA site

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.as...mp;I=1&SE=1

I haven't been through it - but he lists previous service in the 2/1 Dorsets (1914 - 1919) and then as an Inspector in the Royal Irish Constabulary 1919 - 1921

His wife Daphne Gertrude is listed as his NoK. I'm guessing they may have been married in Ireland (no obvious record in England and Wales) where the 2 eldest children were probably also born (Joyce the eldest was 3 on the passenger manifest to Australia and Robert was 1) and Daphne's maiden name was Pollock - Mary Patricia's birth was registered in London - she seems to have been one of twins -

Births Dec 1922 (99%)

Peel-Davis Daphne Pollock Pancras 1b 102

Peel-Davis Mary P Pollock Pancras 1b 102

The family travelled to Australia in 3rd class and the last address in the UK was 9 Shackleton Road, Southall Middlesex

Cheers

Sue

Very many thanks Sue and you've managed to join up a lot of 'loose ends' with your kind assistance.

It would seem that Peel-Davis joined up at around age 16 before becoming commissioned. He seems to have then worked at a number of jobs (as no doubt many did) including a period in the RIC (and hence my interest). Obviously some element of WW2 service also, and I know there is a photo of him on the AWM site (sadly too small to view properly) as a Captain. I see from the link you provided a nice little photo of him as well.

This does show up the need to research carefully though and not trust any single primary source; his birth date at St Johns is shown as 1897 but his RIC service record says 1894; given the Australian attestation form we can now say the RIC record is incorrect. Likewise, Peel-Davis claimed to be an 'Inspector' in the RIC from 1919-1921 - untrue, as he was a 'Defence of Barracks Sergeant' from May 1920 to March 1921 before resigning as a complaint against his 'treatment'. He was involved in an ambush in December 1920 in which he distinctly failed to distinguish himself, multiple gallantry awards being won by others that day. Perhaps this incident led to his volunteering in Australia in later life. It may also be that having a wife and baby at the time of the ambush may have diverted his focus somewhat!

If there is any more on his Australian war service or medal entitlement I'd be very interested to know. Thanks again.

• 8 years later...

Hi 

On 14/02/2009 at 05:41, Peter Mc said:

Can anyone help me please? I'm trying to trace the service of George Charles Peel-Davis; born 5 Dec 1894 or 5 Dec 1897 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Known to have served as an officer in WW1 (British Army) and disbanded by 1920. I'm having trouble tracing any reference to him - does anyone know of him or can point me in a positive direction? Thanks!

Hi Peter.....

He (I am pretty sure) is recognised on the our Villages memorial tablet to those that served.  Members of the Peel Davis Family were living in Hermitage that time.

I am researching all the Men on the tablet, so this thread is right find!

Had found the MIC but semi dismissed it (not sure why!)

Now to find R Peel Davis.....!

Regards Andy

Screenshot_20170719-074809.jpg.0cb931c6bb2220619e1d954e9a9880dd.jpg

RP Davis, is his Brother Robert Peel Davis born in 1900, RFC/RAF, also moved to Australia.

Served in WW2.

Two more down off the memorial tablet, living in Drayton Lodge, Hermitage.

Edited by HolymoleyRE