Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

soldiers persumed dead.

herbie4798

hi all. i just want confirmation on something. on my great grandads mic it says persumed dead 19/4/17 and also on the 1914/1915 star roll. being persumed dead means, ie went missing, body never recoverd? he is commerated on jeruselum memorial.

james

Hi James,

he would probably have been missing after a battle and no one could account for him as being wounded or killed. If he didn't show up or be reported as a prisoner of war the presumption would be that he had been killed. We have several lads from 1st July 16 whose families were notified that they were missing in the following November then notified "presumed killed" in the folowing May.

Regards

John

thanks john. its hard to comprehend how familys must have felt when news of this came there way. it was quite sad to see it whilst looking at the original docs at the NA for my great grandads 1915 star roll. just made me think.

best regards james

James,

Guessing your Gt Grandfather was John F Hyde of 1st/10th London Regiment? If so, you have his battalion number, and therefore it may be worth a look at the battalion war diary to see what they were doing around the date he was posted missing.

Ian

hi ian. yes i have the 1/10ths war diaries. the day he died was the last day of the second battle of gaza. 44 soldiers died that day according to the SDGW and CWGC. obviously no mention by name as he was not an officer. according to the war diaries 27 were missing at the close of play 19th april 1917. my grandad was obviously one of them.

james

• 2 weeks later...

There are plenty of ways he could have gone missing in that area.

Have you looked at some of the threads on the missing?

hi all. i just want confirmation on something. on my great grandads mic it says persumed dead 19/4/17 and also on the 1914/1915 star roll. being persumed dead means, ie went missing, body never recoverd? he is commerated on jeruselum memorial.

james

In very rough terms, about half of all British and Commonwealth dead were commemorated on memorials to the missing. Many of these missing had been buried as unknowns - so in fact their bodies had been recovered, but not identified. Perhaps half of the missing were never found at all.

Phil.