Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did he or didn't he serve

Steve Bodie

Hi

Below is a family list kindly forwarded to me by MelPack. Two of the brothers (Albert and Frederick) have known details of their participation in the Great War. The eldest Frederick however was never spoken about and therefore I have absolutely nothing to go on other than the details below to find out if he joined up or what he got up to.

I have tried to find anything I can about him (hate to think that he gets forgotten) Can anybody help me with this? (Details below)

Thank you

Steve

1901 census entry (he is also on the 1911 census in Rugby)

Name: Lewis Lewis

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1900

Relation: Son

Father's Name: Frederick

Mother's Name: Maggie

Where born: Rugby, Warwickshire, England

Civil Parish: Rugby

Ecclesiastical parish: St Matthew

Town: Rugby

County/Island: Warwickshire

Household Members: Name Age

Frederick Lewis 33

Maggie Lewis 31

Frederick Lewis 7 -----------------

Rose Lewis 5

Albert Lewis 4

Lewis Lewis 1

Ann Lewis 74

Sorry, just to make that clearer, his details would be...................

1901 census entry (he is also on the 1911 census in Rugby)

Name: Frederick Lewis

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894

Relation: Son

Father's Name: Frederick

Mother's Name: Maggie

Where born: Rugby, Warwickshire, England

Civil Parish: Rugby

Ecclesiastical parish: St Matthew

Town: Rugby

County/Island: Warwickshire

Household Members: Name Age

Frederick Lewis 33

Maggie Lewis 31

Frederick Lewis 7 -----------------

Rose Lewis 5

Albert Lewis 4

Lewis Lewis 1

Ann Lewis 74

Steve

I am afraid that there is no magic wand on this one.

There are nearly 400 potential candidates with MICs

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

and no obvious candidates on Ancestry.

You definitely need to find some specific information - local paper, Absent Voters List etc

Regards

Mel

Steve

It is definitely worth pursuing. Health permitting, it is highly likely that he served. If he had not volunteered then he would have been conscripted at some point in 1916/17.

Keep digging!

Regards

Mel

There is a marriage between Frederick Lewis and Edith M Hughes in Rugby in 1916, order the marriage certificate and see what it says for occupation.

Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse/Age District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marriages Mar 1916 (>99%)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lewis Frederick Hughes Rugby 6d 1383

regards

Phil

Hi Phil

Many thanks for this, very much appreciate your help/advice. Forgive me for asking can we be sure this is the right Albert Lewis, do I need to first qualify this is our man?

Thanks again

Steve

You do mean Frederick I take it.

The only way to be sure is to order the certificate about £7. His age, occupation and address will be listed. Also father name and occupation. You can narrow down with age, firstly. With a bit of luck it may say rank and regiment, if he served, this may again help with the TNA search.

I would definetly look in the absent voters list for rugby, the local library or county records office will probably have a copy if its still available. My grandfather was listed on the Cambridge absent voters list and it gave name, rank, regiment, number and address which helped me find out a lot more about him.

Regards

Phil

There are nearly 400 potential candidates with MICs

Plus the possibility he joined the naval service, RFC or RAF.

Try the 1918 Absent Voters List, assuming he was in Rugby. It would give his military details at that time. Not sure whether the List actually exists or where it is held. Rugby Family History Society might be a good port of call.

Also try the library local to where they lived (for the absent voters list) - the local studies section MIGHT hold it - alternatively try the county archives for that area.

You do mean Frederick I take it.

The only way to be sure is to order the certificate about £7. His age, occupation and address will be listed. Also father name and occupation. You can narrow down with age, firstly. With a bit of luck it may say rank and regiment, if he served, this may again help with the TNA search.

I would definetly look in the absent voters list for rugby, the local library or county records office will probably have a copy if its still available. My grandfather was listed on the Cambridge absent voters list and it gave name, rank, regiment, number and address which helped me find out a lot more about him.

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil

Sorry your right I did mean Frederick. You mention that it's possible to get marriage certs for £7 any chance you can let me know where to get it at this kind of price, I paid nearly £20 for the last one I got.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Phil

Thanks very much for this. Thought you may like to know that you have almost definately found my man as I found out this weekend for certain that he married an Edith and it was during the war years.

Thanks again

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post my finding re previous correspondences. I got the marriage certificate back. Phil you were correct re the marriage to Edith in 1916. It gives me 2 clues, 1) he was a soldier at the time (no rank or number given) and 2) place of residence was 14 Plowman Street, Rugby. So it's a starting point.....

Cheers

Steve