The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

what was a Chaplain 4th Class?

caroline@linkagecomputing.co.uk

I have The Rev .S. G. McMurtrie listed on the Wallasey War Memorial Panels he is listed on CWWG as Chaplain 4th Class can anyone explain this term or know more about him?

I think he was Stanley G. McMurtrie and if so would have been about 23 years old when he died .

He is buried in in Egremont church yard-St John

Caroline

• Admin

Caroline

I think 4th class was the equivalent rank to Captain.

This thread

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...mp;hl=charteris

might give you some more info about Army Chaplains

Michelle

Michelle

Thank you for your reply I had searched the history on the site but failed to read down far enough and I see now someone had answered my question about 4th Class in the thread you linked.

Now i wonder who he was chaplain to -the questions never finish.

Thanks

Caroline

A forum member by the name of Audax seems to have a lot in information on chaplains .. may be worth a PM to him?

Des

If you can get to the NA Kew he has a Service File there under the following reference....

WO339/118302 McMURTRIE S [1914-1922]

Also an entry relinquishing his commission from the London Gazette #30370, 7 November 1917. Link is Here

ARMY CHAPLAINS DEPARTMENT.

The-undermentioned.temp. Chaplns-to the Forces, 4th CL, relinquish their commns.: —

The Revs.—

A. H. McNeile. 26th Sept. 1917.

B. W. Taylor. 15th Oct. 1917.

S. G. McMurtrie. 19th Oct. 1917.

A. C. H. Hall. 20th Oct. 1917.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the further information and Steve now i know who he was attached to, great.

I have yet to manage the trip to Kew although I have more and more details which I could look up if I do manage .

Thanks all.

Caroline

Thanks for the further information and Steve now i know who he was attached to, great.

I have yet to manage the trip to Kew although I have more and more details which I could look up if I do manage .

Thanks all.

Caroline

CAROLINE The Revd Stanley Gibson McMurtrie

The Son of Hugh McMurtrie, He was born on the 8th November 1877 at Frome. educated at Bath College he was a late Scholar of St Cathrine's College Cambridge where he obtained a B.A. (June Opt) in 1899. He was made a Deacon in 1903 by the Bishop of Ossary and Ordained Priest by the Bishop of Down in 1905. He served as Curate of Grange Sylvae. Co Kilkenny from 1903-1905 Sea Patrick (Banbridge) Count Down 1905 to 1907; Minor Canon of Kilkenny Cathedral 1907 to 1909 p.b Cho. 1908 to 1909; St Saviour, Woolcroft park Bristol 1910 to 1912. St James All Saints, New Brighton, in the Diocese of Chester in 1912 to 1916, when he became a Temporary Chaplain to the Forces in 1914, He was Vicar of St John's Egremont, in the Diocese of Chester in 1917, where he died on the 14th June 1919. and is buried in Egremont (St John) Churchyard Cheshire Grave Ref South 284.

I hope this helps you in some way One Hundred and Seventy Two Chaplains died in the Great War.

Best Regards Peter.

Peter

Thank you so much for all this information I had found the correct McMutrie then in my search of his family records your confirmation is really great and the detailed history is just the thing.

It says on CWWG that he was an MA I wonder where from?

I wonder what happened to lead to his death-more research coming on I think.

Thank you for your time and very helpful reply

Caroline

Peter

Can the date of birth and BA degree both be correct? - some genius to have a 'late degree' at 12!

Egremont, by the way for those in distant parts, is now in the Borough of Wirral, but still in the diocese of Chester.

D

I think that he was born 1877 Dec quarter Frome Somerset although this entry is transcribed MacMurtrie the joys of Mac and Mc although having an unusual name helps.

Caroline

Just found more info thanks to Marine Pete's pointer to St Catherines Cambridge.

Son of Hugh B. also Cambridge

1896 BA ,

1899 MA,

1910 Ord

Served Great War Chaplain R.C.D.C. on University war list.

These entries are also down as MacMurtrie so which was he ?

Still to find out what happened for his death

Caroline

Peter

Can the date of birth and BA degree both be correct? - some genius to have a 'late degree' at 12!

Egremont, by the way for those in distant parts, is now in the Borough of Wirral, but still in the diocese of Chester.

D

Daggers The Date of Birth 1877 Regards Peter.

try Dr michael Snape at the birmingham centre for first world War studies

matt

There were four Classes of Chaplain equivelent to Army Officer Rank. A Fourth Class Chaplin was usually on a one or two year contract and was equal to a Captain in terms of pay.

The details of the Revd S G McMutrie appear in Greater Love - A directory of Army Chaplain Casualties. The year of death stated is incorrect and should be 1877. My apologies for this typing error.

Bancourt

Bancourt

Thank you for your help does it say in the book if he died from wounds or illness?

I think you mean Birth not death.

Oh and my mother who spent her childhood in Wallasey but her adult life away from Cheshire still calls it Egremont !

Caroline

• 6 months later...

You probably already have this ( as this is an old post ) ... but I'll post just in case !! :)

In Memory of

Chaplain 4th Class The Rev. S. G. McMURTRIE

Army Chaplains' Department

who died

on 14 June 1919

M.A.

Remembered with honour EGREMONT (ST. JOHN) CHURCHYARD

Stanley Gibson McMurtrie, M.A., Chaplain 4th Class, Army Chaplains' Department. Stanley was born in 1877 at Frome, the son of Hugh McMurtrie, of Bank House, Highbridge, Somerset. Stanley was educated at Llandovery between 1893 and 1896, when he won an Open Mathematics Exhibition to St. Catherine's College, Cambridge in 1896. He played rugby for St. Catherine's, and graduated B.A. in 1899. Stanley maintained his association with Llandovery, and played cricket in the Old Boys' Match at the School in 1897. He also contributed to the College Building Fund in 1899. In 1903 Stanley became curate at Grange Sylvae, West Shankhill, Belfast, where he remained until 1905. He then served at Seapatrick, Barbridge, until 1907. He was then appointed Ministering Canon at Kilkenny Cathedral, Ireland, becoming Curate of the Cathedral in 1908. Further callings saw him at St. Saviour's, Woolcott Park, Bristol, and in 1912 he was ministering at St James's with All Saints, New Brighton, Birkenhead. On the 14th February, 1916 Stanley applied to join the Royal Army Chaplain's Department, and as he had said that he was "free at once" he was enlisted as a Chaplain to the Forces on the following day. He was passed as medically fit and described as "a nice, manly fellow". As he had asked for an overseas posting he was sent to the 60th Division which was serving on the Western Front in June 1916. In November 1916, the Division moved to Salonika, and then to Palestine in June, 1917. However, Stanley had contracted trench- fever and was later invalided home. He was discharged from the Army in 1917. He then became the Vicar of Egremont, Cheshire, but he had never really recovered from his illness on active service and died in London on the 14th June, 1919 following an operation. Stanley was 41 years old, and is buried in the churchyard at St John's, Egremont, Cheshire.

http://www.laugharnewarmemorial.co.uk/page30.htm