Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding a soldier thru service number only...

Jesse

I would like to determine the identity of soldier #14644, but have no name or unit to put with it. Has anyone done this, or can it be accessed somehow?

Thanks,

Jessee

Guest Pete Wood

Jessee, this is not a unique number. You need to know which regiment your man was in.

For example, you can search with this number on the CD Rom version of Soldiers Died In The Great War - and that shows that 10 men with this number were killed; all from different regiments.

But you also have dozens of soldiers with that number who survived. The PRO is gradually putting the Medal Index Cards on line Click here to go to the MIC online search page. At the moment only the names up to the letter C have been put online. But when the project is finished, you should be able to enter your regimental number in the box labelled "Other Keywords."

Of course, I am assuming that you are talking about a British soldier......

What other clue/information do you have on #14644?? For example, if you have a posession with this man's number on it - what is it?

Must agree with Teapots.. there really isnt enough there to go on. Number and regt will help but that can be painstaking. Best we can say...

John

Aha! I see, friends. Thank-you for your help. The item I am working from is an memorial card w/ photo, which has number #14644 on the back, and "Hull" written underneath it. British soldier in uniform, looks rather young, though. I'm thinking maybe an earlier school unit photo. Photo is full length, so I am going to try and magnify the emblems, but if it is an earlier photo this may not help.

Guest Pete Wood

Post the picture. If it is his memorial card (in other words he died), then it will be fairly easy to identify him.

There is a close match for a man in the Duke of Wellington's regiment. But let's see what your photo shows.

Guest Pete Wood

Hi Jesse, it really would save us all a fair amount of time (and guesswork) if you could just put the picture on the forum.

Even if I typed out all 10 names, they wouldn't mean much to you - unless you have identified which regiment the soldier served in. As someone else has pointed out, he may not even have been British.

If you are having problems posting a picture, just send it direct to me.

Not my intention to try anyone's patience here, as I do not have a scanner or camera at this system. Of course, he is British, or a colonial.... I will put the card up here for viewing.