Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Almeric Paget Massage

Bairbre

Apologies if this question has been asked/answered previously - is there any record of membership / any list of members of the AP(M)MC? I know the numbers were large so maybe there are records for local units somewhere?

Thanks

Bairbre

There are 22 names in the medal index cards on the National Archives website. Nurse AE Smith has an entry in the treasury papers at the NA also. These papers are about her claim for a pension. That leaves 1, 9777 names to find. It might be worth contacting the Wellcome Foundation Lbrary in London, who hold information on this corps. They can be found on the net.

TR

Thanks Terry - I did employ a researcher (as I'm in Dublin) about 18 months ago to go to the Wellcome Library for me and to the Chartered Soc. of Physio but she could only find a 1920/21 reference for me - I am looking for an earlier registration 1915 possibly. One box was unavailable on the day in the Wellcome Library and the first six months of the Journal are missing in the CSP archives - maybe either of them holds the key! Maybe I'll ask her to go back again ...

Thanks for your advice

Bairbre

I am not sure that the number suggested for the A.P.M.C. is correct as being in the thousands. Can anyone clarify where this figure came from?

I have some notes I made about this Corps, which may be a bit basic, but will happily e-mail to anyone who is interested if they PM me with their e-mail

Yes I will pm you later - thank you for that.

The statistic below is quoted from the website

http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/focuson/wo...aget_intro.htm:

In total 3,388 women and men served in the A.P.M.M.C., with a peak membership of 2000 in 1919.

Thanks for all the replies

Bairbre

The only reason that I thought there would be far fewer is that I have only twice, in 20+ years of collecting WW1 medals. seen medals to the unit. I bought one of them - a BWM with paperwork and scrapbook.