Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IR 69

Jean le poilu

Hello,

It is my first post here.

I am doing researches about the Battle of the Marne (Sept. 1914) and I am desperetly looking for the "regimentgeschichte" (war diary) of the 69th german Infantry regiment (Rheinisches) :(

I don't even know if any was published (in the 20's or 30's as it is the case with most of german regiments)...

Maybe somebody can help me ?

Thank you in advance

Jean

Hello Jean, I checked Mohr's book and found one entry for this regiment covering the war:

Walterscheid,

Ehemaliges 7. Rheinisches Infanterie Regiment Nr. 69,

Tradition des deutschen Heeres, Heft 81

Kyffhäuser, Berlin 1938.

Unfortunately it is not among my collection. Have you tried the Reichsarchiv seris Schlachten des Weltkrieges covering the Marne?

Ralph

Hello,

Bear in mind that this is not a book, but only a small booklet of 18 pages in the Series Tradition de Deutschen Heeres. Half of the book even covers an overview of the war...

I think that looking for 'Das Ehrenbuch der Rheinländer' by Hans von Felgenhauer and Wilhelm Müller-Loebnitz might be more rewarding...

Regards,

Jan

Thank you very much for your answers !

I have heard of Eike Mohr book. Is it accurate at 100 % ?

It is a bad new for me because IR 69 fought a big part of the battle I'm studying.

I already have the Reichsarchiv serie that deals with the "Marnedrama". Unfortunately, the part of the Battle of the Marne that interrests me is around Vitry le François and it is not covered.

In fact, I don't know any book that describes the battle there (at the junction between the 3 and 4 german Armees against the 4th french Army (General Langle de Cary)...

Thank's again for your precious informations : I will try to find these books or at least somebody that could make copy for me.

I would have another question : in France a lot of soldiers have written their memories. They are often very interesting.

German soldiers surely did the same thing. Do you know a website that can help me finding accounts of soldiers of IR 28,29,68,69, 133 and 134 LIR 116 and 118, FAR 23 and 44) ?

Best regards and thank you again for your help

Jean

Hello Jean, I am not aware of any web sites that could provide the type of information you are looking for. I know of a number of books that have personal accounts but these do not have a central index and it is difficult at times to determine what units are represented.

If I come across anything regarding these units in my research I will pass it along to you. Good luck in your search.

Ralph

Hello Jean

I suppose you know of these websites.

My German is not good enough to know whether they have the exact kind of information you want but here they are in case they help.

http://www.stahlgewitter.com/

http://users.skynet.be/bk230381/

http://home.t-online.de/home/hinrich.dirksen/katalog.htm

These do not seem to have come out as links but they are

Das Archiv zum 1. Weltkrieg

Die 4. Armee in Flandern 1914-1918

Forum 14-18 Artikel

Kate

Thank you very much for your answers. I really appreciate your help.

I will continue my tireless researches.

..; And excuse my poor english !

Jean

Jean

Michael has told me that I have entered the last of my three links incorrectly. I will try to edit that post but if I can't here is the correct URL.

http://home.t-online.de/home/hinrich.dirksen/katalog.htm

Thank you Michael. The site is well worth visiting.

Sorry

Kate

And I have edited the original post as well so my last post now makes no sense.

But rather that than have everyone trying to find a non existent web site.

Kate

Guest michaelv

Thank you Kate !

It`s because I support these guys and in the past I received important informations several times. In my opinion it would be a pity to get an "error message" :rolleyes:

Michael

Thank you again for the answers and the links.

Maybe one among you has the story of the Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 118 : It is the other regiment that are missing to start my work on the Battle of The Marne near Vitry le François. But the difference is that I know this one (LIR 118) had a story published in 1928 :

Wie das hessische Landwehrinfanterie-Regiment No 118 im Weltkriege by Johannes Ledroit

I need only the informations for the 06 to the 11/09/1914.

Thank you guys !

Jean