Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

146th Siege BAttery Royal Garrison Artillery

ajpattison

Can anyone provide any information on the movements of this unit? Is there a war diary available anywhere?

Having at long last discovered a relative who fought in it, I am keen to find out more about his war, until his wounding in September 1918.

The 146th Siege Bty RGA was formed on 22nd May 1916 at Pembroke Dock and arrived in France on 16th August 1916. The National Archives hold a war diary for the battery from June 1916 - March 1917 (here)

July 1918 saw the battery as part of the 47th Garrison Artillery Brigade attatched to the Australian Corps Heavy Artillery 'X' Group and were equipped with either 6 or 8 inch Howitzers.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm sure the more knowledgable will add to this,

cheers, Jon

Diary for Australian Heavy Artillery, July 1918 (part 1) is available (here). It's a 16mb pdf file and contains many references to the 146th (S) Bty's locations and targets, other months are also available,

Jon

Diary for Australian Heavy Artillery, July 1918 (part 1) is available (here). It's a 16mb pdf file and contains many references to the 146th (S) Bty's locations and targets, other months are also available,

Jon

Thanks Jon, that's fantastic

Do you happen to know if the diary for Sept 1918 exists/is available? That's the month when my great-great uncle was wounded

• 14 years later...

Jon. Regarding the link to the Australian war diaries, Can you re post the link, I cant find it on the OZ site on the info posted and the link you posted way bak is not working anymore many thanks 

Phil,

you do not make it clear if your after something to do with 146 Sge or just want the Australian corps. 146 were a component battery under 47 Brigade which was attached to 1ANZAC for a short period. Just google:

AWM4 13/7/28

Rgds Paul

3 hours ago, ororkep said:

Phil,

you do not make it clear if your after something to do with 146 Sge or just want the Australian corps. 146 were a component battery under 47 Brigade which was attached to 1ANZAC for a short period. Just google:

AWM4 13/7/28

Rgds Paul

Jon Sorry for the Confusion... Im actually after seeing any war diary for the 146th Siege Battery RGA for march 1918. I found your link now and as you say 146 was part of X attached to the Australian HQ heavy artillery. Found them mentioned in April 1918 but not in any diary for March or before. Appears to be part of the 47th Brigade 

Link to the Oz records 

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1338644

Hope you can help or at least let me know where they were in March 1918...

Paul I think you nailed it !!! YEs the Battery are in there and a good appendix too ... thanks so much for your time and reply guys.