Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Paragraph 156(4) T.F. Regulations 1912

SteveE

Pals

Can somebody help me out with the full definition of this paragraph please?

I have a soldier Discharged under Paragraph 1564 TF Regs 1912 as Conduct Unsatisfactory. Is there a more detailled definition to suggest why his conduct may have been unsatisfactory?

His papers record the Paragraph as 1564 but I believe this may actually be Paragraph 156 Sub-Clause 4?

Any help much appreciated as always.

Regards

Steve

Steve

If you Google "Territorial Force Regulations 1912" you will get,among other things,the official HANSARD version !

Sotonmate

TG Regs 1912 amended to 1 December 1914

Para 156 Subpara 4

Conduct unsatisfactory

Authority for discharge: OC

Carry out discharge: OC

Special Instructions: Applies to men who conduct themselves in such a way as to render their retention in the Territorial Force undesirable.

OC for the purposes of TF Regs in this context is equivalent to CO, the command at Lieutenant-Colonel level (Para 156 refers to footnote to Para 61to make this point) although doubtless there are some exceptions buried somewhere in the Regs.

You might find it useful to know that the other categories are (in order of subparas excluding subpara 4):

Termination of engagement/ Reached age for discharge/ At his own request/ Not likely to become an efficient soldier/ His services being no longer required (applies to men whose state of efficiency or lack of special qualifications does not justify their retention in the TF and who cannot be discharged under any other heading)/ Having made a false answer at attestation/ Having irregularly enllsted/ Having been claimed as an apprentice/ Having made a mis-statement as to age on enlistment/ Medically unfit for further military service

Ian

If you Google "Territorial Force Regulations 1912" you will get,among other things,the official HANSARD version !

Sotonmate

Thanks for the advice, I did just that and got the Hansard site, couldn't figure out how to get past the heading though (perhaps you can't, I don't know :huh: )

Cheers

Steve

Special Instructions: Applies to men who conduct themselves in such a way as to render their retention in the Territorial Force undesirable.

Ian

Many thanks for the detail for the Regulations, it's much appreciated.

Makes me wonder what a man had to do to render himself undesirable though.

Thanks again.

Steve

A possible route forward there would be to try and identify others discharged under the same heading (hard work on Ancestry) and look at their conduct sheets. You might get a PhD out of it; 'Behavioural Thresholds for Discharge Amongst Territorials at the Time of the Great War' or better 'The Dynamics of Behavioural Threshholds Leading to Discharge ... as Influenced by Manpower Demands'. However, I suspect that the standards might differ between peacetime and war.

I'll buy the book when you publish.

Ian

I have someone discharged under this regulation.

He was to be tried under DCM for attempting sodomy however there was insufficient evidence.

The Major wrote "I am most anxious to get rid of him" so he was discharged under Para 156 (4) TF Regs (after 46 days).

This was in September 1914 and permission had to be obtained from the Brigade Commander.