Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifleman Thomas Colgan

Guest Desmond6

Guest Desmond6

Doing my research today and keyed in the death notices for Private Thomas Colgan of Seaforths, dies early in Somme battle. Three weeks later his father, a pioneer with the Royal Irish Rifles, dies of wounds. The final sentence states: 'Much sympathy is felt with Mrs. Colgan and her eight children.'

Colgan senior was in his mid-forties, he had a mill job and living in Ireland he had no need to volunteer for the army - just another example of the 'pals spirit' during the formation of Kitchener's Army.

But, from a 21st century perspective, you have to ask the question - what was he thinking of?

That's not to belittle the man or the cause he believed he was fighting for ... but leaving 8 children? It's incredible to the modern mind.

But, from a 21st century perspective, you have to ask the question - what was he thinking of?

That's not to belittle the man or the cause he believed he was fighting for ... but leaving 8 children? It's incredible to the modern mind.

Hi Des:

Is Rifeman Colgan another one of your men from Ballymena?

It was a different time and a different world. An age when for King and Empire actually had some meaning.

Garth

Guest Desmond6

Garth - yes, one of many. The street in which he lived - Galgorm Street - was only about 200 yards long with terraced houses facing each other. I haven't got the exact statistics available - yet - but just from keying in the dead, wounded and joined up lists which appear in the paper each week, I reckon virtually every household had someone or more than one 'with the colours'.

My grandfather came from that street and he joined up along with all his brothers.

My list of Canadians from Ballymena - if that doesn't sound stupid - just keeps growing. It must have been great for them to be so far away from their 'new home' in Canada and yet be able to go on leave and see their parents, friends and family here in Ballymena.

You mention Empire and this comes over very strongly in the local newspaper reports. Families liked to see the names of their loved ones in print - for the right reasons ... i.e. Pte. mcDowell to Sgt. McDowell to 2nd Lt. McDowell etc - you were dead on with that one, found the news clipping mentioning the promotion.

However, I've been dipping into the 1917 file from time to time and that's when I'm starting to see a lot of Canadian casualties coming through.

I'll keep in touch - thanks. Des