Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are these medals please

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

post-11197-1234175370.jpg

Here we have 6821 Private George Jackson 1st Btn R.S.F. died of wounds 20th May 1918, having been through Mons etc. I would love to know anything about him but mostly what are the two medals he is wearing in the photo. The one on the left appears to be a young Queen Victoria. There is an article in a newspaper that only says he was wounded in the Boer War. If anyone can give me some extra info on him from his ww1 days I would be highly delighted.

Many thanks in advance

Kevin

Ron,

Totally agree with the medals.

Kevin,

George Jackson was assigned to Depot Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers. He was born in Wokington, Cumberland, where he lived. He enlisted in Ayr arriving in France on 15 September 1914.

George was entitled to the 1914 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal to go with the Boer War pair.

The soldier died at home on 20 May 1918 and was buried in grave E. 1239 in Kilbirnie Burial Ground, this is on the Glengarnock road, it now belongs to the County Council.

Attached is a copy of his MIC.

Cheers Andy

post-41030-1234179560.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

At Kew: WO 100/180 Medal and Award Rolls QUEEN'S SOUTH AFRICA Royal Scots Fusiliers

WO 100/327 KING'S SOUTH AFRICA Royal Scots Fusiliers

There is lots about the Queens and Kings South Africa Medal.

The one on the right is the Kings medal, and is doting the 2 issued clasps South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902. The queens medal on the left has 5 clasps so he would have seen plenty of action out there.

Cheers

Jim