The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help Needed - Mickleham WW1 Memorial

ianw

http://www.leatherheadlocalhistory.org.uk/...-War-Memorials/

I have assisted to a small degree the efforts of a great chap by the name of Frank Haslam to do some work on the war memorials in the area of Leatherhead. Please take a look

at Mickleham and if you can help with any of the mystery men please do. I know how much you like a challenge e,g who is Percy Bodman with a Dorking/Mickleham connection?

And do you know William Edgington's connection to the area?

I have assisted to a small degree the efforts of a great chap by the name of Frank Haslam to do some work on the war memorials in the area of Leatherhead. Please take a look at Mickleham and if you can help with any of the mystery men please do. I know how much you like a challenge e,g who is Percy Bodman with a Dorking/Mickleham connection? And do you know William Edgington's connection to the area?

A provisional search shows a Percy Bodman getting married a lady with the surname Arthur in the Dorking registration district. I wouldn't have thought it was a particularly common name, so could be your man. I'll investigate further .....

http://www.leatherheadlocalhistory.org.uk/...-War-Memorials/

I have assisted to a small degree the efforts of a great chap by the name of Frank Haslam to do some work on the war memorials in the area of Leatherhead. Please take a look

at Mickleham and if you can help with any of the mystery men please do. I know how much you like a challenge e,g who is Percy Bodman with a Dorking/Mickleham connection?

And do you know William Edgington's connection to the area?

I've got a Percy Bodman for you .... but I cant find a birth cert in the local area

He married Daisy Arthur in Dorking, Surrey in 1913, she is also named as the next of kin in the pension records of:

Percy Bodman 115724 Royal Garrison Artillery

Attested 1915 in Croydon

Poisoned with gas in 1917, discharged in 1918 with a silver war badge

After discharge he lived with his wife and child in Carshalton

Wife (NOK) lived in Wallington during the war

Dianne

Thanks Dianne. That's marvellous. So it appears that Percy did have a local connection and died sometime after 1921 and therefore is not mentioned in either SDGW or on the CWGC. I wonder how many casualties of the Great War escaped listing in this way?

Regards Ian

Another couple for you

William and Henry Edgington are brothers, the sons of William and Fanny Edgington

William was born in Mickleham in 1890

Henry was born in Mickleham in 1896

Data was found on the 1891 and 1901 census, therefore the dates of birth are approximate.

William (father) occupation was railway platelayer (whatever that is)

Dianne

In the days before rails, L-shaped strips of metal, called plates, were used to guide wagons, especially from such places as adit mines. The men who laid them were thus platelayers.

When the rail, or railways, were introduced, those who laid them were not called rail-layers but remained platelayers.

So when you next travel by train, and look out of the window, and see men working at replacing worn out rails, you will be looking at platelayers at work.

Bruce

In the days before rails, L-shaped strips of metal, called plates, were used to guide wagons, especially from such places as adit mines. The men who laid them were thus platelayers.

When the rail, or railways, were introduced, those who laid them were not called rail-layers but remained platelayers.

So when you next travel by train, and look out of the window, and see men working at replacing worn out rails, you will be looking at platelayers at work.

Thank you Bruce

I have to admit, I was mistified by this particular occupational group ... glad you could answer the question!

Dianne

Thanks for the continuing work Dianne. We have confirmed a lot of iformation about the Mickleham men but there are still gaps.

Hi Ian

I'm more than happy to help you fill in the gaps

Tell me where the gaps are (PM if you prefer) and I'll do my best to sort them out

I'll also see if I can trace the men and find the local connection to the ones I currently haven't looked at ...

Dianne

I've got a Percy Bodman for you .... but I cant find a birth cert in the local area

He married Daisy Arthur in Dorking, Surrey in 1913, she is also named as the next of kin in the pension records of:

Percy Bodman 115724 Royal Garrison Artillery

Attested 1915 in Croydon

Poisoned with gas in 1917, discharged in 1918 with a silver war badge

After discharge he lived with his wife and child in Carshalton

Wife (NOK) lived in Wallington during the war

Dianne

You look like you have a non commemorated - a Percy Bodman aged 32 died Q4 1918 Dorking 2a 441 - I have had a look through his pension records & I reckon if you obtain the DC you will have a good case for submission to the CWGC

Chris

Ian

Hopefully the DC will show the cause of death as resulting from his injuires

Chris

I've been trying to nail down Percy Bodman to a stronger link to Mickleham .....

I've looked at the entire census records for Mickleham for 1891 and 1901. I cant find Percy Bodman there but his future wife (Daisy Arthur), aged 15, is living with her family in Mickleham and working as a dressmaker in 1901. Although I havent yet found Percy Bodman in Micklham, as his future wife is there, Percy will probably show up in the 1911 census

As they married in Dorking in 1913, if you get a copy of thier marriage certificate, it will give information on where they lived, where they were born etc (Daisy was born in Kent in 1886 - Percy was born in London in 1885). The birth certificate may give some information on one or both of them living in Mickleham at the time of the marriage ... hence the link to Mickleham!

While I'm in research mode ... William Edgington was born in Mickleham in 1889

Dianne

Thanks Dianne.

By the way, Mickleham is a nice little place just north of Dorking with some nice pubs and restaurants nestling under Box Hill. It has not change much and I recently traced a photo of the Public Schools brigade resting to a lane in Mickleham.

I hope we can eventually get Percy commemorated by the CWGC.

By the way, Mickleham is a nice little place just north of Dorking with some nice pubs and restaurants nestling under Box Hill. It has not change much and I recently traced a photo of the Public Schools brigade resting to a lane in Mickleham. I hope we can eventually get Percy commemorated by the CWGC.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the commemoration by CWGC of Percy Bodman. Any idea how long it takes?

I may well come along to Mickleham and have a look at the memorial

I'm not done with the men commemorated on the memorial yet, theres still a couple of them that I want to take a look at!

Dianne

Dianne - if you come to Mickleham PM me and I will buy you a drink at "The Running Horses" which is just opposite the church. Your efforts are most appreciated.

Regards Ian

Bernard Salway Grissell

Born Mickleham Oct - Dec 1879 (birth cert is registered in Dorking)

Father Thomas De La Garde Grissell

Mother Frances De La Garde Grissell (nee Beale)

1881 Census - Norbury Park Mansion

1891 Census - Can't currently find this one

1901 Census - Hove, Sussex

Married to Olive in South Africa in 1906

Although Bernard moved away from Mickleham, the fact that he was born there should be a strong enough link!

Dianne

Dianne,

Yes, we had ascertained that both of the Grissell's were born/resident at Norbury Park (which I can see from my window as I type this) - so good that the 1881 census confirms this.

We think their father is buried in the churchyard at Mickleham - but no time to check yet. Dad's fortune was based on building and property development.

We think their father is buried in the churchyard at Mickleham - but no time to check yet. Dad's fortune was based on building and property development.

One of the earlier property developers then ... I also think he might have gone to Cambridge University and got a degree there ...

The father is also in Sussex in 1901 and died on 25 Dec 1915, his death is registered in Wangford Suffolk.

The mother was probably buried in Mickleham, as she died there in 1888 (death cert is registered in Dorking)

Now back to the original men from WW1 ...

Dianne

Francis Grissell

I have found a record of the above mentioned man, entering the UK on 26 Jun 1915, aboard the ship Miyazaki Maru. He boarded in Hing Kong and is listed on the ships docementation as an architect, aged 29. It looks like he spent his time at Harrow wisely where he was obviously a boarder.

Dianne