Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pembroke Dock Presentation tank

tanks3

Hi Guys,

Some time ago there was a thread on the forum that dealt with the details of the Pembroke Dock Presentation tank given following the end of the great war. The tread also contained a photo of the current Chieftan tank. I can't find it now. Can anyone help here? Also did the thread contain a copy of any newspaper report of the day giving the details of the presentation?

Thanks

Tanks3

Tanks3

The Pembroke Dock presentation tank was a Mark IV Male, and was displayed in the Memorial Park on Bush Street in the town. I am absolutely certain that I have not seen a newspaper report of the presentation of this tank.

Incidentally the Chieftain won't be in the town much longer - it's being returned to the Army partly because of maintenance problems. History repeats itself.

Gwyn

As regards Tanks in the Pembroke Dock area.

Has anyone checked out the Camp Guards,at the entrance to Castlemartin ranges?

George

The two camp guards that stood outside the Castlemartin camp, a Cent and a Conqueror otherwise known as Romulus and Remus, are no longer there. They were removed for repair a little while ago. No idea when or whether they'll be back. Inside the camp there's a Churchill Crocodile (without the trailer) and a Leopard 1, (and possibly something else?) but if you try to photograph them from outside the gates you'll probably be arrested. Worth going to the visitor car park at the firing ranges to watch what's going on - firing times are advertised in the local press. And don't forget the Castlemartin Open Day each summer.

Gwyn

(Apols - this is definitely OT!)