Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonica and After

Dimitri

Hi there everybody-

Just finished the book "Salonica and After" by H. C. Owen, editor of the Balkan News. I found this book extremely interesting even though it is quite thin on the factual events of this campaign. The book does indeed include some details of the two main battles of the campaign with respect to the British Army, but its emphasis lies on the experiences of the abovementioned in this treatre of war. Even though Owen was not a frontliner, his insights are extremely interesting on the nature of the campaigning. Some of the stories he mentiones give a feel of what it must have been like living and fighting in such an inhospitable place that is Macedonia. I would reccomend this book to anyone with an interest in the Balkan front and who is interested in reading the "human" side of this theatre. It would be interesting to know what other people think about this particular book. All the best

Dimitri

• 4 months later...
Guest tartan87terror

Thanks, Dimitri, for drawing my attention to this book. I'm very interested in finding out as much as possible about conditions at Salonika where my grandfather served.

I'll get a copy through my local library, and givemy thoughts on it here, later.

Have you any other such references re Salonika books, for me, please?