Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1990 Commonwealth Games tv ad

alliekiwi

The 1990 Commonwealth Games were held in Auckland, NZ. Part of the television campaign prior/during the games - here, at least - was an advertisement showing [re-enactment] soldiers of the various nations behind the lines (at Passchendaele in 1917, I think) having a race in amongst bombed out buildings and the like. Other soldiers were standing by cheering them on, along with nurses in their flowing white head gear.

Does anyone else remember this? Was it shown outside of NZ? Does anyone have a copy of it? I can't find it on youtube...

Allie

It doesn't ring any bells with me but then I wasn't remotely interested in all things WW1. Of course I'd love to see the footage now ^_^

Diane

It was certainly more memorable than advertisements for other games. Well, for me at least! The only other one that really sticks in my head was for the 1984 (?) Los Angeles Olympics where the ad showed a little gymnast struggling with her luggage and one of the weight lifters comes along and picks up her and the bags.

Allie

I remember the NBC coverage of the 2000 Sydney Olympics having a nice feature about the Diggers at Gallipoli. That was the place I first got interested in the Dardanelles campaign.

Lee Tamahori won a New Zealand Film and TV award for it being the best TV commercial in 1990, can't find any footage though

Jon

Hi Allie,

ws living in Perth at the time but cant remember its too far back for my

19 years is a long long memory trail

David

Wow! That was pretty good. :)

Cheers Andy.

• 1 year later...

What a superb advert!

Makes you want to "Go compare"!

Bruce

That was good, thanks for the link.

Norman

I've had to watch that with no sound ( we can't afford speakers at work) but I still thought it a really good piece of work.

Puts the worry about a few dirty sinks into perspective.

What a wonderful advert, thanks for the link.

Stephen

Fantastic!

If only British TV adverts were that good Broomers would have nothing to complain about :thumbsup:

Andy