Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st. Bn. Grenadier Guards

HarryBrook

Did any elements of 1st. Bn. Grenadier Guards go to France prior to their official qualifying date of 6/7.10.14., attached to 2nd. Bn. or otherwise? I am researching 15437 Pte. Reginald T. Packer, King's Own Company, 1st. Bn.

In an interview with a local newspaper (Dean Forest Mercury) on 2.10.14. he states he was wounded fighting on the Aisne and was home on convalescent leave. He subsequently returned to the Front and was KIA on 20.12.14. (SDGW). CWGC give his date of death as 20.10.14. but I believe this is incorrect, and I am obtaining a copy of his death certificate to clarify this point.

Any advice or a definitive answer on this question would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

sotonmate,

Thanks for taking an interest in my topic. I followed the link to the Guards Division History. Unfortunately it is too general.

The reason for my enquiry? A pair of gates were erected in memory of Pte. Reginald Thomas Packer in 1915 at a local church. I am intending to write a short article about the gates and the man for a local history society journal. I want to make it as full and accurate as possible with some detail of his service record and his part in the Great War, rather than just recycle local newspaper reports.

Regards,

Eric

I'd suspect he was a 2nd Battalion man, sent to 1st Battalion on his return from wounds. According to Ponsonby's History of the Grenadier Guards in the Great War, the 1st Bn went overseas on the date you give; I doubt anyone would have been cross-posted prior to that, as they were preparing to proceed overseas with the 7th Division.

The 1st Bn received drafts on the 3rd, 12th and 15th December; on the 18th they assisted in a small attack by the Scots Guards, at Fromelles. Other than that the period around the 20th was quiet, but cold and wet.

I'd suspect he was a 2nd Battalion man, sent to 1st Battalion on his return from wounds. According to Ponsonby's History of the Grenadier Guards in the Great War, the 1st Bn went overseas on the date you give; I doubt anyone would have been cross-posted prior to that, as they were preparing to proceed overseas with the 7th Division.

The 1st Bn received drafts on the 3rd, 12th and 15th December; on the 18th they assisted in a small attack by the Scots Guards, at Fromelles. Other than that the period around the 20th was quiet, but cold and wet.

Steven,

Thanks very much for your interest in my topic and information you have provided.

I have confidence in what you say. A great help.

Eric

Ponsonby's book is very good, but doesn't run to much on private soldiers. Your man appears in the Roll of Honour, but it is purely aplhabetical, so not much help.

Oddly, there appear to be no Grenadier experts on the Forum.

I can't see that the 1st Battalion, preparing to go overseas (at Lyndhurst, near Southampton, divisional headquarters being in the hotel in which I spent the first night of my married life, incidentally) would have sent men to France, so I suspect he would have been transferred when returning after wounds.

Member Coldstreamer is the resident Coldstream buff (oddly enough); he will know what Guards records are like, so a PM to him might prompt some ideas.

Steven,

Thanks for your further post. Yes, I was hoping a Grenadier expert might pick up the topic. Still time!

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

It may be worth trying the Guards records offices,

>> The Guards. The Guards regiments maintained a separate set of records and these are accessible via the Archivists of those regiments, all of whom can be contacted at the respective regimental headquarters at Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk, London SW1E 6HQ. Some require payment for supplying a copy, others invite a donation. In all cases, you should at first write, asking for a copy of the form that the regimental archivist requires in order to carry out a search.

Phil,

Thank you for taking an interest in my topic and for the information you have given me today.

Eric

if the grenadiers are half as good as the coldstream (archives Im talking about !!) then they should be able to help