Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prince of Wales Regiment

jmicky57

H

Hi All

I am currently researching my family connections to the great war. And have been informed by an aunt that Arthur was a POW in the war. She remembers him coming to see her mum and dad,(his sister) he didn't talk about the war as did a lot of the ex-servicemen.

My Questions are as follows.

1) Was it possible for POW's to send photos home like the one attached? By the way, it was sent to his wife and has her address on the back.

2) How can I find out if he was a POW?

3) If he was. What information would be available?

mic of Arthur Greaves

post-39979-1233844368.jpg

Arthur Greaves while POW(not confirmed - as told to Aunt)

post-39979-1233844404.jpg

Photo of Arthur Greaves in the uniform of the Prince of Wales Regiment(Front & Back)

post-39979-1233844297.jpg

post-39979-1233844339.jpg

TIA

Mick

Mick,

Q1 - yes, not usually in vast numbers but a long term PoW would have sent several home.

Q2 - An enquiry to the ICRC would probably bear fruit.

Q3 - Depends, usually very little but occasionally a search produces a lot of information.

My Question;

Is the back of the card in the picture in the first post the back of the photograph, ie the one from Cassel PoW camp?

NB the PoW on the card is not referring to the Prince of Wales Regiment.

Doug

I have a short list of PoWs at Niederzwehren (Cassel) in 1915. He himself is not listed but a number of WYR are. My guess is that he was an early PoW, probably in 1914.

Doug

Hi Doug

Firstly, the back of the postcard I included in my posting is the back of the group photo. All that's on the one with Arthur is his wife's address.

Secondly, thanks for the information. Can you tell me what the ICRC is unfortunately never come across that one.

Once again thanks

Mick

Mick,

Having looked closely at the group photograph it is obvious that it is also a PoW photograph, note the PoW number patch on the left breat of the seated guy's jacket.

Note that 'B' Coy may relate to the PoW camp and not the regiment, in which case it could be 8 or 6 coy. Many PoW camps were organised in Companies and it is often included in the address.

The ICRC is the International Committee of the Red Cross. Their web site should contain all details of how to contact them to make an enquiry. Enquiries for relatives should be free. I suspect that all you will get back is the name of the camp at Cassel with a date; if the relevant list still exists. If he is an early PoW then they may no longer have the list.

Doug

Hi

I can confirm that 6381 Pte A Greaves, next of kin wife, of 10 Harrow Street off Eccleshall Road, Sheffield was captured prior to 24th December 1914. His name is on a list men from the West Yorks who were eligible for the Princess Mary Gift Tin.

Regards

Steve

Taken Prisoner of War 20/09/1914, there was also 8 Officers and another 435 other ranks as well as Arthur taken Prisoner this day from the 1st Battalion of the West Yorkshire Regiment.

A link to a post about the men of the 1st Batt that where killed on this day.

Ca Ira

Regards as always Kevin

Hi All

Thats Fantastic. There are so many exaggerated stories about the brothers.

One which you all have helped clear up. It goes as follows:-

My G/parents met when they were children. The G/father Herbert Marriott joined the 1st York & Lancs in 1908. My G/mother met and married Ernest Barnsley (1915). He joined 6th Service Battalion York & Lancs and was killed at Cambrai on 16/04/1918.

All are confirmed facts.

Any way the story goes that Herbert Marriott, Arthur Greaves and Ernest Greaves(G/mothers brothers) were just back from the battlefield, when they saw poor old Ernest Barnsley who was badly wounded and dying. They all went up and told him that they would look after his wife.

Fact 1 Herbert Marriott(My G/father) - 1st Y & L's was in Salonika until 18 Nov 1918 and medi-vaced to Ripon Hospital with malaria.

Fact 2. Ernest Greaves - 1/4th Y & L's was at Kemmel on the 16/04/1918

Fact 3. Arthur Greaves - 1 West Yorks Prisoner Of War Cassel, Germany

So you have now confirmed that its a bit of fantasy thats been passed down

Thanks once again

Mick

• 8 months later...

Hi all

First thanks for all efforts in the past.

I finally got information from the icrc on my Gt Uncle Arthur.

According to the attestion he was taken POW on 20/10/1914 near Lille. I believe that the 1st West Yorks were involved in action during the Battle of Armentieres.

In May 1915 he was visted by the red cross where he was in Gottingen Camp, Kassel

In Sep 1917 again he was visted by the red cross where he was in Kassel and that he moved from Gottingen Camp.

Would anyone know when his number (6381) was issued? I am a bit confused as according to the date between Jan 1902 and Jan 1903. that would make him about 16 when he joined up.

thanks Mick