Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

69007 A H Frewin MM MiD 35th Dn RE Signals Coy

palicus

Hi all,

Am looking into the service of 69007 Archibald Henry Frewin MM MiD 35th Division RE Signals Company trying to find info on his MM.

Does anyone have any info on the above man or even War diaries for the 35th Division especially the RE Signals Company around this time?

FYI from service records:

MiD gazetted 11/12/17

Wounded GSW to head 28//03/18

MM gazetted 10/04/18

Thanks in advance for all you help

regards,

Al.

Al

War Diary for 35 Div Signals Coy RE is at Kew under WO95/2476 and runs from Jan 1916 to Mar 1919.

Sotonmate

Boy Soldier

Are you referring to the unit or the soldier ?

If you are searching on 35 Division there are about 18 hits,you then have to enter each diary number into the top left box of the Catalogue search and there are several elements to each number you feed in. The range for 35 Div is from WO95/2470 but is not completely sequential,it jumps to 2473 up to 2476 and then from 2478 to 2479 etc etc.

As you will see from my post I found it in WO95/2476.

I have found often that searching on a unit in the lower boxes doesn't always work,but if you know the Division and search on it in the lower boxes you can bring up all the elements in the way that I have described.

Sotonmate

Colin

OK ! Well done !

Sotonmate

post-42604-1233868411.jpg

Thanks Sotonmate,

I did find the reference to the diary at Kew and will try to go along - but realistically with a new baby due next week its gonna be a while before i get the chance to do any hands on research! I was just keeping fingers crossed a pal may already have a copy of it.

Incidentally, I have found that your method of searching for references by using the Division and then finding each of the references is by far the best way. However, I've found that not only do the results run sequentially, but also that the gaps in the hits numbers are also part of the same divisional records. For some reason it seems that if there are no sub groups within a hit (ie it contains just one described document) then the search does not find it.

A bit bizarre - but I now always check the missing numbers in the run to find out what else is tere.

Colin, thanks for checking the divisional history. I'm not completely certain about his full regimental history, but from the scraps of his service record that survive and I've taken from Ancestry it seems he was in 35th Divisional Signals Company when discharged as no longer fit for service soon after he was wounded. Seems likely he was in the same company at the time of his gallant deeds..

see the attached scrap:

Any further thoughts gratefully received.

cheers again

Al.

I'm sorry Al, still nothing on your relative, however from the "scrap" you posted it does appear to be the 35th. Div. There are MM awards mentioned in the history including some from the signals staff but nothing on a "Frewin"

As for where they were just prior to 1918 , in Oct. they were in the Houthulst area, Nov, Poelcapelle ,

Dec. "quiet" month. .During March & the German offensive a party of "signallers " (in the region of Hem Wood / Maurepas) under command of a Lt. Sutton RE, kia, disposed of a German attack. Due to the intermixing of units at this time I don't know if Lt. Sutton was from 35th. Div. RE/signals

During March 1917 , 29 wounded , March 1918, 23 & April 1918, 79 RE/signals staff. kia not mentioned as your relative was wounded.

Colin.