Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SALONIKA VISIT

mametzwood

SWB, Very pleased if you could get me a photo of the name of 32415 Pte Joseph Jackson 12th Lancashire Fusilers on the Doiran Memorial if you get to it. Regards Ralph.

Good Evening.

I am attempting to create a roll of honour for my home town in South Devon. Having got images of most of the 200 plus the lads who lie on the Western Front, I am appreciative of any chance offered by the GWF membership to collect the images of graves and memorials further afeild. Therefore I would appreciated photographs of the any of the following graves, if this fits in with your plans;

Private COCKERHAM John William, 3/7047, 'A' Coy., 10th Bn. Devonshire Regiment. Died of Wounds 27th April 1917. Age 26.

Buried at Sarigol Military Cemetery, Kriston, Greece, Grave B.235.

Corporal BOWDEN Sidney George, 05849, 124 Coy., Royal Army Ordnance Corps attd. Stavros Ammunition Dept. Drowned 14th July 1918, Aged 32.

Buried at Mikra British Cemetery, Kalamaria, Greece, Grave. 1834

Gunner, FURZEGeorge Albert, 89177, 'D' Bty., 31st Bde., Royal Field Artillery. Died of malaria, 26th September 1918, Age 29.

Buried at Bralo British Cemetery, Greece. Grave 23.

Thanks you

John Ellis

SWB, Sorry but I have just recalled another Newtonian that died in the Second Battle of Dorian which I would ask to add to my list;

Captain, Edgar Edward, M.C. 7th Bn. South Wales Borderers. 18th September 1916, Age 27.Son of John Edward Mills, of Wood View, Newton Abbot. Recorded on the Doiran Memorial, Greece.

I have extracted the details of the 7th SWB's action from the book 'Under the Devil's Eye' but if you can add any thing to the information I would appreicate it.

Thank You

John Ellis

Hi,

There are four men from New Cumnock, Ayrshire, Scotland remembered in Greece.

2 are on the Doiran Memorial - 15434 Pte Wm Hunter, 11th Bn, Cameronians (Scot Rfls), 34590 Pte Wm McKerrow Sloan, 8th Bn DCLI

1 at Kirechkoi -Hortakoi - 25620 Pte Charles Howat, 9th Bn., Border Regt. Grave 469

1 at Saloniks (Lembet Rd) - 31878, Pte Thomas Halbert, 9th Bn., Gloucestershire Regt., Grave 1416

If you can manage all or some of these, I would be grateful.

Cheers,

Richard M Bain

Guest Lynn Tipper
I am visiting Salonika in April, If anyone has relatives resting there or require photos please let me know.

SWB

Hi there: my grandfather Private J.J. Tipper is mentioned on the Doiran Memorial, he served with the Royal Lancaster Kings Own Regiment (according to the WGC). I am visiting Salonika in June especifically to see this memorial and surrounds and would appreciate any information you can give me prior to my journey.

Kindest regards.. Lynn Tipper

Hello SWB,

I would very much appreciate pictures of the graves of Driver T2/17545, Henry C.R.Tuck, R.A.S.C. Died 2/7/1916, Aged 36 years, Grave No 183. and Private, 22857, F. Tuck, 1st Battalion, The Essex Regiment, Died 14/2/1919, Grave No 1629.

Both men are Buried in Lembet Road Military Cemetery, Salonika.

Kindest regards,

Stephen. :rolleyes:

Guest KevinEndon

Could I ask for the photos of 2 graves please

1. Pte JOHN BINGHAM 14878 Scottish Rifles/Cameronians 06/09/1916 SALONIKA (LEMBET ROAD) MILITARY CEMETERY 369

2. Pte HUGH ARCHIBALD CRAWFORD S/18422 Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders 15/11/1918 MIKRA BRITISH CEMETERY, KALAMARIA 824

many thanks. Please put these to the bottom of the list and only snap them if you are passing, please do not go out of your way to get these for me.

Kevin

Not wishing to knock the wind out of SWB's sails here, but perhaps I should just point out that there is a forum member not a million miles from Salonika who is willing to take grave photo requests (and indeed has most of the above on file already - except Bralo, which is a long trek!) and give travel advice if required.

So, if SWB is unable to fulfill anybody's request for whatever reason, don't despair!

Adrian

in Salonika

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Adrian, You kindly took photos of my Grandfathers memorial at Mikra last year( Gunner Ernest Johnson) and I would now like to visit personally. Can you advise the best way to travel and stay in the area.

Regards

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love a photo of the resting place of this man-

Name: MILLAR, GEORGE

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 04/09/1917

Service No: 35603

Additional information: Son of Mrs. A. Millar, of 7, Innes Place. Belfast.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. D. 35.

Cemetery: DOIRAN MILITARY CEMETERY

• 3 years later...

My grandfather Driver Andrew McIndoe is buried at the Sarigol military cemetary . No one from my family has ever visited his grave, Would this be a difficult place to travel to for someone who has never been to the country of Greece? I appreciate any advice as to a trip like this orginating from San Diego, Ca. My Grandfather was in the Argyll Mountain Battery of the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade. He died 19 December 1916. Thanks to all who respond

Hi macduett

You might want to send a pm, to Adrian for more specific advice if he doesn't see your post. Given the distances involved you might want to combine your visit with one of the groups organised by Alan Wakefield, although most of the battle areas are in present day Macedonia rather than Greece and some heavy walking can be involved. I went with Alan earlier this year, and found the visit as interesting as some of the walking was challenging. His book is the most recent on the campaigns there. "Soldiers Died in the Great War" gives your gf's cause of death as "died" which normally means that he died from some disease or illness rather than from wounds.

The cemetery location itself is not so far from Thessaloniki and you would probably need to fly to one of the major European airports to catch a linking flight to visit him. From London Gatwick Easyjet have flights to Thessaloniki.

Search this site - look for this thread in particular http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=166554&hl=salonika

Keith

• 5 years later...
On 12/02/2009 at 12:17, Richard Bain said:

Hi,

There are four men from New Cumnock, Ayrshire, Scotland remembered in Greece.

2 are on the Doiran Memorial - 15434 Pte Wm Hunter, 11th Bn, Cameronians (Scot Rfls), 34590 Pte Wm McKerrow Sloan, 8th Bn DCLI

1 at Kirechkoi -Hortakoi - 25620 Pte Charles Howat, 9th Bn., Border Regt. Grave 469

1 at Saloniks (Lembet Rd) - 31878, Pte Thomas Halbert, 9th Bn., Gloucestershire Regt., Grave 1416

If you can manage all or some of these, I would be grateful.

Cheers,

Richard M Bain

My great grandmother is from New Cumnock.Isabella Howat came to Canada in 1909 to marry James Irving.Her brother was Pte. Charles Howat.Please reply to me if possible .Thank you.

Welcome to the GWF,

Unfortunately Richard hasn't visited this forum since 2012.

I will send him a personal message and he may receive it if he registered an e-mail address with the Forum.

BillyH.