Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers' pay in World War One

jcebell

• 1 month later...

thank you Chris Baker for the pay scales,

invaluable!!!!

just used them now for my research so you see 8 years isnt late enough!!!!

mucho thanks

It was up to the individual soldier as to how much they remitted back to their family. 1 shilling was deferred pay, received on discharge and 5 shillings a day ordinary pay, so the six shillings a

day was not as it seemed. In fact this was quite a handsome salary in those days when the basic wage in Australia was in the order of 2-3 pounds a week. (Can't remember the exact figure).

• 3 months later...

Found the above interesting but still have a couple of questions.

Were the daily rates based on an hourly wage?

Did men get same pay when on rest periods?Were the daily rates paid for a 7 day week.

Those at most risk seem to have paid the lowest... private in the infantry 1s 1d.

British army pay is daily. You get an extra days pay in a leap year.

Never been an "Hour" rate. If you work for 24 hours, you get the pay. If you work an Hour after parade and knock off to do what you want the same pay.

Infantry yes known as PBI the poor bloody infantry.

Thanks. It was just that the pay tables I have seen were not clear.

• 4 months later...

Hi

I recall reading somewhere that British troops referred to the Australians as the "******* five bobbers"!

Ed

Nine years late, but I'm only a newcomer to this. I recall the historian, Dr John Laffin in his book "Diggers", stating that an Australian Labour MP had referred to the AIF soldiers as "Five bob a day butchers." Obviously he did not even have the guts to be a "Wouldtogodder" of "B" Company (Be here when you go and be here when you come back)!

• 6 years later...

In 1915 an acting Lieut Medical officer was paid £1.4s.0d a day ("Only With Honour" blog GWF) How many beers would that buy?

If things don't change, they stay the same. In 1971 as a boy seaman (16) in training my pay was £7 a fortnight. Out of this you paid your keep, uniform replacement. Blue liners (ciggies) and everything else they could think of. two hours ashore is all you could afford! (50p a day!!)