Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Orphans of the U-Boat Campaign

ph0ebus

Hi all,

There are a few individuals I would like to try and locate and not sure how to proceed; they were survivors of u-boat attacks which claimed their parent(s) and sometimes one or more siblings en route from the US to the UK. Was there any organized approach as to what happened to them? If someone on the forum has searched for orphans before, what methods did you employ? I have had no luck in finding any leads via newspapers, FamilySearch, EllisIsland, CWGC (in case they died in WWII) and Ancestry. Not sure if they stated in the UK or came back to the US. Short of hiring a P.I., suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Daniel,

A lot of seamans orphans from the Great War were taken in by the "Hull Seamens and General Orphanage" the records are at the local Archives but they are shut for the unforseen future. The Carnegie Heritage Centre Hull, may have some records, 01482 561216 or enquiries@carnegiehull.co.uk.

Regards Charles

Hi Charles,

This is very helpful...will check out Carnegie and see what they may have available. Was there a similar organization/mechanism for passengers' orphans from torpedoed passenger ships?

-Daniel