The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

14th Hants

garethcaergwrle

Hi all

I'm currently researching Capt (A/Major) Charles Cadwaladr Trevor-Roper of the 14th Hants who DoW 3/8/1917 and is buried in Duhallow Advanced Dressing Station Cemetery

I would like to find out what the battalion was doing at this time and if there is any other information concerning his military career.

Many thanks

Gareth

Gareth,

The following will be of use:

post-52-1233779998.jpg

Regimental history extract:

post-52-1233780941.jpg

Next page:

post-52-1233781216.jpg

Gareth

The 14th Hants were in the 116th Brig of 39th Div which together with 51st Divs formed XVIII Corps.

The 31st July was the opening day of the Battle of Pilckem Ridge and XVIII Corps were tasked with a number of objectives the first of which was to advance the Corps to a line along the Steenbeek stream extending from St. Julien to near the Pilckem to Langemarck Road, By 8am the 39th Div had taken its first objective. The 116th Brig were then to leapfrog forward and push on past the Steenbeek for 200 yards and secure the Pilckem Ridge. The area to be crossed was covered by pillboxes and fortified farms which had not been touched by the preliminary bombardment. Fighting past strongpoints at Hampshire, Mousetrap and Juliet Farms, the advance splintered into a series of small-scale actions. Position after position had to be stormed by combined arms of mortars, tanks and infantry. There were many casualties. After securing the second objective the 116th Brig moved onto its next objective only 200 yards further on. During the rest of the day and into the 1st August 8th and 55rh Div pushed the advance up the opposite slope of the Steenbeek and to the Gravenstafel Spur. However the position could not be consolidated and the Germans soon pushed the British back over the Steenbeek and out of St Julian. Maybe Trevor-Roper was WIA during this action

EDIT: Beaten to it by a far more authorative reply fro Marc. 2/Lt Denis Hewitt of ythe 14th Hants was awarded a VC for his actions on the 31st July

Kevin

Third and last page:

post-52-1233781395.jpg

Gareth,

His son Richard Dacre F/Lt RAF DFC DFM was KIA on 31st March 1944 during the failed Nuremberg Raid. He was part of a Lancaster crew(all KIA) from 97 Sqn. He had previously served in 50 and 617 Sqns and took part in the Dambuster raid as mid-upper gunner in Guy Gibsons Lanc. His DFM was gazetted on 23/12/41

Kevin

His son Richard Dacre F/Lt RAF DFC DFM was KIA on 31st March 1944 during the failed Nuremberg Raid. He was part of a Lancaster crew(all KIA) from 97 Sqn. He had previously served in 50 and 617 Sqns and took part in the Dambuster raid as mid-upper gunner in Guy Gibsons Lanc. His DFM was gazetted on 23/12/41

Hi Kevin,

That's a really interesting piece of additional information that I wasn't aware of. Many thanks for adding this.

Marc

Gareth,

Kevin

Cheers Kev

I have seen a picture of Guy Gibsons Crew at thaT time, but somthing tells me he was listed as rear gunner on the picture?

Regards Gareth

Marc,

I see on the next page of De Ruvigny that Charles brother was KIA the month after him.

Kevin

Thanks to both of you for the stunning amount of information

I thought I would research one trevor-Roper at a time, however as you've brought him up

Private (suprising) G Trevor-Roper 57835 32nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers was as you pointed out KiA 20/9/1917

Can I ask what is De Ruvigny and do you have anything else on his brother

Regards Gareth

www.plasteg.co.uk Web Site of their 'house'

Here you go....

post-52-1233860111.jpg

Gareth,

Now I come to think of it I don't think there was an upper gun turret on 617 Sqns Lancs for the Dambusting raid, I think they were removed to allow for the fitting of the kit and the spinning bomb so I withdraw my original info. I based my info on the listing og Gibsons crew in his book Enemy Coast Ahead.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Did Charles Trevor-Roper put his abilities as a performer to use at the front?