Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

To Win A War

andigger

Hello again Pals! I have been away forever because of a new job, and I have missed y'all so much! I also see I have a lot of new posts to catch up on, and add my two cents.

Before I get started with that thoug, I wanted to let anyone out there who happens to be in the DC area know that my monthly book club is meeting this Thurs (3/25) at 7.30 in the Barnes and Noble Clarendon cafe. We are discussing To Win a War by John Terraine. For those in slightly more remote locations I will post my discussion notes first thing Fri.

Andy

Book group went really well last night. Actually we were there about 45 mins longer than usual. We all came to the consensus that Terraine includes a lot of details about a number of different aspects of the last 9 months of the war. Some liked his writing style(me), others didn't.

I tried to focus the group on how quickly things started to fall apart for the Germans on the battlefield. We also talked about Ludendorff vs the German Republic, Lloyd George vs Haig. We also spent a considerable amout of time on Terraine's treatment of the American army and Pershing. Besides 'The Lost Battlion' he doesn't mention Vimy Ridge, barely the New Zealanders, and not a word about the South Africans or Indians.

The one thing that can be said is that Terraine always gives people something to talk about. Andy

To_Win_A_War.doc

Edward_N_Kelly

Thanks for the "brief" but I note a couple of errors in them (cannot confirm if they exist in Terraine as my copy is on loan but have no recollection of them).

Lt Gen Sir John Monash never commanded an "army". Australian Corps was a "big corps" (5 Divisions ) but probably smaller in overall numbers to the Canadian Corps (4 Divisions) because of the latters higher strengths per unit and larger Corps troops.

Le Hamel action was 4JUL18 (not June as in your notes).

Edward

Edward,

Thanks for pointing out the two errors. I have looked them up and this is what I found.

"The Australian Army Corps had been formed in November 1917, but it was not until May 1918 that it was commanded by an Australian general, and not until August that its five divisions were united at last into one unit. The commander in question was Lieutenant-General John Monash......" (p 85)

Perhaps as an American the second error is a bit more embarassing...

"Best of all, bringing the greatest encouragement fo the future, was the Australian success at Le Hamel on a date made particularly auspicious by the first cooperation of Americans in a British attack: the Fourth of July."

I stand corrected.

Andy

Archived