Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where was the camp is Sulva?

OpsMajor

My grandfather (T/SQMS RAOC) was posted to the Graves Registration Unit, Gallipoli in 1920. His discharge papers show he was stationed at ?? "NELLER. KILID DANAR. SUVLA"?? Can anyone interpret that please?

Krs

Mike

Mike

I've looked through my maps and guidebooks of Gallipoli and the name you give doesn't appear on any of them. However, Kilid Bair, with variations in spelling, is a small town on the other side of the peninsula just below Eceabat, or Maidos as it was. Could that be what you are looking for?

Garth

I don't have a site for 1920

but in the winter of 1918/19 they "camped in the old Turkish Barracks at near Kilitbahir and in dugouts on the Sari Bair Ridge throughout the bitter winter" per the Holts guide book

However, we have a GWF Pal on the spot - The Plummed Goose

If you drop him a PM then I am sure that he will help

Failing that, try the CWGC who may have the info which you want

good luck

Michael

The IWGC were initially based at Kilid Bahr on the peninsula across the Dardanelles from Cannakkale. Ther were subsequently established on the west coast of the peninsula north of Anzac where they remain to this day.

Thanks for all that - now, having looked at it with a magnifying glass and with your suggestions, it is definitely Kilid Bahr. The copy document I have is his Medical Board xxxxxx? (Report?) and this is under the heading 'Present service or engagement'. There is a full stop between the words (as in my first post) so could this mean he was at 3 locations in his 5 months in Gallipoli, Sulva. Kilid Bahr. and the third one that looks like NELLER?

Krs

Mike

Helles is the southernmost tip of the peninsula, and one of the two landing sites (the other being ANZAC) at the start of the Gallipoli campaign

So a very likely candidate!

The map on this page shows Helles, Suvla and Kilitbahir

http://www.anzacday.biz/anzac_day_gallipoli_peninsula.htm

Alan

Thanks to you all for that - the answer appears to be in Alan's attachment with all 3 locations shown. So 2 + 2 now = 4!

Krs

Mike