Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information from the Navy Medal Rolls

josquin

If anyone has access to the Navy Medal Rolls, I ask that you use them to find the

service numbers for two Great War ratings who both served as Gunlayers (I don't know

which class) with 5 Naval Squadron, of the Royal Naval Air Service: H.S. Jackson and

Walter Naylor. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

regards Trelawney

As you have Water's first name he's far easier to search for, you can just enter it in the search engine for seaman's registers.

Alternatively you can get his number from the London Gazette:

DSM

Gazette Issue 30635 published on the 16 April 1918. Page 4648

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/306...upplements/4648

and BAR

Gazette Issue 30732 published on the 4 June 1918. Page 6772

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/307...upplements/6772

I don't have access to the medal rolls but an online search of the Registers of Seamen's Services at the National Archives came up with these two when I entered Walter Naylor.

Lionel Walter Naylor F2961, born Sydenham, London 29th Oct. 1896. [ADM 188/565].

Walter Naylor F1406, born Newberry, Berkshire 28th Oct. 1891. [ADM 188/562].

Both these men have R.N.A.S. Official Nos., & you can download their records for £3-50p each.

I also tried Jackson but got too many results.

David.

Per Ardua and David

Thank you both for your extremely helpful and informative replies to my inquiry. Using the

leads you provided, I found the two ratings I was researching. The cross-checking between

seamen's registry listings and London Gazette award citations was a wise procedure to

be confident that we had the right Walter Naylor. Again, thank you for your help and

counsel.

regards Trelawney

The advantage of naval awards is that the original recommendation files for the awards often have survived, which especially for DSMs give more details than the Gazette.

William Spencer in his Medals The Researcher's Guide mentions the following file:

AIR 1/75/15/9/173 R.N.A.S. Dunkerque Command - Honours and awards gained by officers and men. 1916-1918

These might also be of interest:

AIR 1/105/15/9/273 R.N.A.S. Headquarters, Dunkerque - operations orders and instructions. 1916 June-1918 Mar.

AIR 1/258/15/226/88 R.A.F. (formerly R.N.A.S.) station, Dunkerque - summary of daily operations. 1916 June 1 - 1918 Nov. 19

AIR 1/64/15/9/85 R.N.A.S. Dunkerque Command-reports of bombing operations 1916 Apr.26-1918 Mar.10

Per Ardua

Many thanks for the specialized awards references. These really appear to be

oustanding sources, and I appreciate your informing me of them.

regards Trelawney

There were only 67 first bars awarded to DSMs in WWI and of those only five to the RNAS.

Per Ardua

Given how rare the Bar to the D.S.M. was among R.N.A.S. ratings, it would be

of great interest to learn what Naylor did to command such a distinction.

regards Trelawney

I have a question relating to theaerodrome's listing of aces victories; where do they derive the information? Ray Sturtivant and Gordon Page in their Royal Navy Aircraft Serials and Units 1911-1919 (Air-Britain, Tonbridge, Kent, 1992) lists an aircraft as Out Of Control for Naylor that isn't on The Aerodrome's listing.