The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Irish Rifles 1917

billy201

Hi there I am trying to trace where the 10th bn Royal Irish Rifles . Would have been serving on the 29/8/1917 .What if any battle they would have been involved in. or if any kind pal has a batt, Diary that would help. I think the man I am researching was killed on that day. His name was C S M Robert Selkirk Whelan s/n10 16093. he was born in Belfast. he was a holder of the MC MM. I think he won his MM .on the Somme. on the 1/7/1916 I dont know where he won his MC Any help would be just great. thinking you all the very best yours Inniskilling :unsure:

This is your man I presume:

Whelan #16093

Did you check the Gazette?

I did only a quick search and he showed up right away here:

Sgt. R. S. Whelan #16093

Must be a lot more, he was easy to find.

Richard of Canada

Divisional history to August 17

HAVING once more left its Artillery and Pioneers in line, under the orders of another division, the 36th Division, after four days' rest about Winnizeele, moved south by train.

The troops detrained at Bapaume and Miraumont, ruins now, upon the church steeples of which some of them had looked from the Mesnil Ridge a little over a year before.

With the Division moved the 1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers. This regular battalion had joined the Division in the Salient before the Battle of Langemarck, but had not taken part in that dolorous affair.

Its arrival was highly significant. It was a sign of the shortage of recruits from home. The 36th Division had not been made up to strength between Messines and Langemarck, and was now deplorably below it.

The country into which the troops stepped from their trains was of a like they had not yet seen in all their active service. Behind them lay the "shelled" area; that in which they now stood was the "devastated" area.

The former was featureless to an indescribable degree. Marks of battle there were few, save for the stumps of trees. All the countryside, its debris and its shell-holes, was covered with a mass of very coarse grass. There were not even ruins, for buildings had been blown flat and their rubble carted away to help maintain the excellent main roads with which the area was now traversed. It was hard to discover the sites even of villages.

Most people who used the Albert-Bapaume Road will remember a wooden cross whereon was written: "This is the site of Le Sars Church." For that statement it was necessary to take the writer's word. There was no other evidence.

The devastated area, on the other hand, had not been fought upon. It represented the ground evacuated by the enemy in his retreat to the Hindenburg Line. It had, however, been cleared of civilians and scientifically demolished to make it as difficult and comfortless as possible for our troops.

All houses had been blown up by explosives, bridges destroyed, fruit-trees cut down or gashed to death. Yet it was far from being as dreadful or as ugly as the battle-field. The ground was unbroken and covered with good grass or crop run to seed.

There were still woods and copses. It was depressing, yet far less so than the Salient. It resembled primeval prairie, and the hutments springing up here and there might have been the encampments of bold pioneers.

Between the 28th and 30th of August the Division relieved the 9th (Scottish) Division in the line. The right boundary was marked by a communication trench, "Queen Lane," on the Beaucamp-Ribécourt Road, a thousand yards north of the former village; the left was on the Demicourt-Graincourt Road.

Hi Inniskilling,

I have war diaries for 10th RIR from beginning September 1916 to end August 1917.

pm me if you would like me to email any digital images to you.

regards,

Al.

hi inniskilling, just as an aside to your post, i bought this bugle while in dublin for the rememberance ceremonies in nov last , since then i have been trying to trace any information on the 10th r.i.r. just thought you might like to see it.

cheers mike.