Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for place near Salonika

akduerden

I am tracing the movements of the 115th RFA Brigade and the War Diary states that on the 22/12/1915 Brigade HQ and Batteries (except B Battery located at Langaza) moved to YAILAJK but I have not been able to locate it. It is also spelt as JAJLIDZIK in the diary.

I believe it was one days march from Lembet Camp as Brigade HQ left there on 21/12/1915.

Regards Andrew

Andrew,

If I "translate" this into proper Turkish the name of the village would have been "yaylacik" (the i being without point). It is a rather common name for a village and there are several villages named yaylacik in Turkey.

The name might have disappeared and replaced by a greek name.

eric

Hi Andrew,

Can't immediately find any likely candidates (apart from perhaps Jajdzilar/Yadjilar on the way to Sarigol).

Which direction were they moving in? Where was the next stop?

Adrian

Scrub that!

Found it. Jajladzik on the road to Jenidze Vardar (Yannitsa), a few miles after the Vardar bridge near Topcin.

post-16303-1233747514.jpg

It's now called Halkidona.

Adrian

Scrub that! Found it. Jajladzik on the road to Jenidze Vardar (Yannitsa), a few miles after the Vardar bridge near Topcin.

It's now called Halkidona.

Adrian

I was hoping you were going to see my post Adrian - I have noted how helpful you have been to others and you assisted me previously when trying to locate the 4th Canadian Hospital.

I was not looking in that direction as I had assumed the Brigade had moved north from Lembet Camp. The war diary states that B Battery moved to Langaza which I assumed is the town of Langazas, NNW of Lake Langaza. I have the same maps you do.

Andrew