Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C E Lucas-Phillips

JPAE

Thought I'd have a rest from War matters last night so selected a gardening book for some planning of the borders in the Spring, and found the writer was perhaps better known for his WW2 books, 'The Cockleshell Heroes' and many others. However, in the First World War he served in the Royal Artillery in France and Flanders, becoming a major before he was twenty-one. I wondered if he had written of these Great War experiences, especially as he'd written so much about the later War, and of course his 'Small Garden' in Surrey. He retired as a Brigadier and had been awarded the MC, OBE, and Croix de Guerre, but the book does not state in which war. Anyone anything to add to this splendid warrior/gardener/author/'s career, especially, of course, WW1.

Phil.

Hi Phil

here's a list of books written by Cecil Ernest Lucas Phillips who served as a Major with the RGA, appart from his green fingers most of he books are WWII. His MIC is at the NA and also available on ancestry, his papers should still be available

Jon

Thank you, Jon.

No reason to persue Lucas-Phillips other than the interest generated by such a glittering literary and military career. I'll try to find out some more via Google, but he is not a 'project', just one of those brilliant people who went through sheer hell in their youth, and were able to communicate its antithesis in horticultural art and design. Its possible there are more books than Library Thing shows. Is 'Oorlogsomnibus' Garden or war?

Cheers, Phil.

• 3 weeks later...

Phil

I probably have a little more information CE Lucas Phillips. He was an officer in the 135 Siege Battery RGA and my grandfather served under him during WW1. There is some information regarding him in the History of the 135 Siege Battery and I'll see what else I can dig out.

Regards

Mike S

Mike,

My Dad was 134th.Cornish Heavy Battery RGA. Passed his gardening knowledge on to me. Dug a celery trench in no time! I took a RHA course 20 years ago and the C E Lucas-Phillips book was required reading. I would appreciate any more info on his War service. Your Grandfather served under a rather talented chap.

Cheers for now, Phil.