Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers Records

Corporal Chris

I have spent fruitless hours searching 'Draft, Enlistment and Service' on Ancestry to find whether the 30 military aged brothers of my casualties also served. I am told that in one family 9 went to war and only 5 came back. I am also aware that many records were destroyed during WW2 but I have drawn a complete blank. Admittedly some names are so common that there have been 6 or 7 thousand possible answers which I have not ploughed through. Is there another route or am I wasting my time with this particular aspect of my research?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chris.

If you're looking for service records then it depends on the name. Although they claim to have uploaded up to "M", some later letters do crop up. They are also updating the A-M listings every so often. The only alternative is to either visit the National Archives or get a researcher to do it for you..... but that could cost even if they come up with nothing.

Chris,

Have you tried checking if their are any mentions on the local memorials ?

or you might get lucky with an address on the back of a MIC

Grant

If you're looking for service records then it depends on the name. Although they claim to have uploaded up to "M", some later letters do crop up. They are also updating the A-M listings every so often. The only alternative is to either visit the National Archives or get a researcher to do it for you..... but that could cost even if they come up with nothing.

[/quote

Thanks to you and Grant for your responses. I think a trip down to Kew is the answer if I want to pursue this line. Regarding other memorials, I had assumed, perhaps naivley, that if they were not on 'their' village's memorial they had survived.

Thanks again,

Chris.