Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

how far is kemmel from the centre of ypre?

trenchwalker

how far is kemmel from the centre of ypre?

i am talking about the camp site in kemmel how far is it from ypres ,menin or pop which ever is closest

Hello Trenchy

These figures come out of Autoroute

Ypres - Kemmel = 9.6 Km

Poperinghe - Kemmel = 11.6Km

Kemmel - Menin = 24.4 Km

Hope this helps

Andy

ah ha

ok cheers mate

you see as part of one of my scout thing i need to orginise a camp and to add a lil spice it up abit i was thinking of camping and hiking from ypre to kemmel from the train station to the camp site aswell as taking in some of the local culture ( hahahahaha)

mart

Believe me Martin, It's a long, flat and very disheartening drag to try and DD to Kemmel from Ieper station with a (presumably) heavy pack on your back. I know - I've done it too many times - that's why I always stay at the Jeugdstadion Camp site between the Menen and Rijselpoorts (10 min. TAB from the station with full kit?) if I don't have any transport these days.

Dave.

Keen walker as I am I would never walk from Ieper to Kemmel. Cycling is a different kettle of fish and bikes of reasonable quality can be hired from various places in the area, including railway stations and the Jeugstadion in Ieper. I would really recommend cycling round the Salient, but it may not be a good idea when you're trying to lug your camping equipment as well. There are plenty of well-laid out cycle lanes in the area, offering much more protection from motor vehicles than the generally half-hearted UK equivalents.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My scout must walk . HAHAHA.

ok can anyone tell me roughly how much it would be to rent bikes and how much it would be to get a train from lille to wipers?

many thanks mart

The bikes hired from the Jeugstadion in Ieper are pretty cheap-about 5 Euros a day if my memory serves me correctly. You can end up with a bit of a boneshaker but they're generally OK. The ones from the railway station are a little more expensive but in my opinion slightly better bikes. You have to deal with the somewhat changeable moods of the station staff, however, and they don't rent them out in the late Autumn/Winter. The Belfort Hotel in Pops rents bikes out as well which were OK on the occasion I used them.

I would really recommend cycling round the Salient, .

I cycled around the Salient a couple of years ago on a hired bike.

Never again! I was sore for a week after. Do Belgians have armoured posteriors?

But the cycle lanes etc are good.

Trench,

I looked on raileurope.com (fares and schedules link) and it said that trains didn't go from Lille to Ieper. There database is not definitive, but a good guide. Looking at the railmap though it might be easier to get a rail ticket to Armentieres or Bailleul which appear to be equi-distant from Kemmel as Wipers. Just ideas....

Andy

I've certainly been on the train from Lille to Ieper, but it was a few years ago. One alternative is to get off the Lille train at Hazebrouck and go by bus to Ieper via Abeele on the Franco-Belgian border. (Only check it's not a public holiday in either country first-I ended up stranded at Abeele when I found that the French busses weren't running!)

To go from Lille to Ieper by train, you have to change at Kortrijk.

Dave.