Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maldon (Essex) casualties

stephen p nunn

http://www.ww1photos.com/

How are you getting on with photos of the men?

You may find some here.

Also your local newspaper may have some in archives. My local library came up trumps with an obscure publication.

I also found photos of 19 men am researching in a memorial photo, on wall of community hall

Mike

http://www.ww1photos.com/

How are you getting on with photos of the men?

You may find some here.

Also your local newspaper may have some in archives. My local library came up trumps with an obscure publication.

I also found photos of 19 men am researching in a memorial photo, on wall of community hall

Mike

Thanks Mike - what a great site! I haven't got time to sleep, eat or work with all this stuff!

I will search it with all of the 250 names.

Regards.

SPN.

SPn

re Claud Fitzroy Clarke, have you tried his service record? What about his mother's family are they local? His father James Ferrier Clarke, is recorded by the British medical Council at Baron Lodge, Mitcham, Surrey in 1883 to 1903.

Though no local connection as yet, this is probably your man, given the odd name. Found these in the London Gazette, though they all still place him in Surey.

Lieutenant Claud Fitzroy Clarke, 8th Rajputs,

from the 2nd Battalion, East Surrey Regiment.

Dated 2nd July, 1907, but to rank from 4th

October, 1905.

LG 26 Nov 1907

The East Surrey Regiment, Second Lieutenant

(Honorary Lieutenant in the Army) Claud

Fitzroy Clarke, from Surrey Imperial Yeomanry.

LG July 3 1903

Surrey (The Princess of Wales's), Honorary

Lieutenant Claud Fitzroy Clarke, late Imperial

Yeomanry, to be Second Lieutenant. Dated

10th February, 1903.

LG February 20 1903

Claude Fitzroy Clarke, Gent., late Colour-Sergeant

Cadet Corps, 2nd Volunteer Battalion

the Royal Sussex Regiment. Dated 7th

February, 1902.

LG March 11 1902

Stuart

Good luch with your quest. I' a Maldon man myself (now in Canada), researching my GF, Albert Crisp, a Heybridge boy and man and lover of the barges. Albert made it through the war. I hope you get what you need on those less fortunate.

Kelvin

SPn

re Claud Fitzroy Clarke, have you tried his service record? What about his mother's family are they local? His father James Ferrier Clarke, is recorded by the British medical Council at Baron Lodge, Mitcham, Surrey in 1883 to 1903.

Though no local connection as yet, this is probably your man, given the odd name. Found these in the London Gazette, though they all still place him in Surey.

October, 1905.

LG 26 Nov 1907

LG July 3 1903

10th February, 1903.

LG February 20 1903

February, 1902.

LG March 11 1902

Stuart

SPn

October, 1905.

LG 26 Nov 1907

LG July 3 1903

10th February, 1903.

LG February 20 1903

February, 1902.

LG March 11 1902

Stuart

Thanks Stuart - I agree with you, I think it is my man but I just can't make any link yet. Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

Regards.

SPN.

Good luch with your quest. I' a Maldon man myself (now in Canada), researching my GF, Albert Crisp, a Heybridge boy and man and lover of the barges. Albert made it through the war. I hope you get what you need on those less fortunate.

Kelvin

Thanks Kelvin. Good to hear from you. I think one of my remaining men might be Canadian - Edwin Hatley. I emailed the Canadian bods to see if they could confirm the Maldon link but no reply as yet.

The barges are still going strong (I am third hand on one of them and my wife works in the galley).

Regards.

SPN.

Kelvin

Kelvin - I think something has gone wrong with my responses to you, but thanks for making contact and the offer of help. Please do keep in touch - it's great to hear from you.

Regards.

SPN.

Steve,

here's your man. See the first link.

LAC has a personnel database with attestation papers. Private Hatley's papers are there.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databas...pfrc4t4m5sjjn46

And CWGC keeps a database on either gravesite or where the person is commemorated. From the date, it appears he died at Vimy Ridge, and the site confirms his name is on the Vimy memorial. That means he was one of the missing (Vimy lists the appx 12000 or so Cdns who presumably died in France but whose remains were never found or identified. Those who went missing in Belgium are on the Menin Gate.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=1568999

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm...asualty=1568999

Steve,

here's your man. See the first link.

LAC has a personnel database with attestation papers. Private Hatley's papers are there.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databas...pfrc4t4m5sjjn46

And CWGC keeps a database on either gravesite or where the person is commemorated. From the date, it appears he died at Vimy Ridge, and the site confirms his name is on the Vimy memorial. That means he was one of the missing (Vimy lists the appx 12000 or so Cdns who presumably died in France but whose remains were never found or identified. Those who went missing in Belgium are on the Menin Gate.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=1568999

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm...asualty=1568999

Brilliant!!! - it says Maldon on the papers. We have our man. 11 to go!

Thanks Kelvin - another pint is owed!

SPN.

Of my remaining 11 men I think Gerald Pearson is the RFC pilot of CWGC and that George William Howard is the sipper of HM Trawler Remindo (especially as another Maldon man was on board) but I can't find any positive evidence to link these two Maldon names with these two people.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Best regards.

SPN.

Hi Maldon. I have found a couple of men whose only link with the town is through marriage. Perhaps some of them were a bit older, and married local girls.

Mike.

Hi Maldon. I have found a couple of men whose only link with the town is through marriage. Perhaps some of them were a bit older, and married local girls.

Mike.

Do you mean in your own town Mike? Good plan, I'll go through the marriage references although I did do an initial search some time ago.

Regards.

SPN.

In my remaining searches for the following 11 "Maldon" men:

George Boreham

Samuel Hitchen

Gerald Pearson

George William Howard

John Anderson

George Lee Bastin

George Beatty

Claude Fitzroy Clarke

James E.B. Macaulay

Hoseph Pinches

Arthur Alfred Robotham

That latter group of 7 seem to be odd and in some way linked to the vicar (of 1909-1926). He was the Reverend Ernest Langham Boughton Kevill-Davies. On the plaque is another Kevill-Davies - Herbert W.S. who I know about and was from Croft Castle, Herefordshire. I don't know how he was related to the vicar and I wondered if any of the above names are connected with the family in some way?

Regards.

SPN.

In my remaining searches for the following 11 "Maldon" men:

George Boreham

Samuel Hitchen

Gerald Pearson

George William Howard

John Anderson

George Lee Bastin

George Beatty

Claude Fitzroy Clarke

James E.B. Macaulay

Hoseph Pinches

Arthur Alfred Robotham

That latter group of 7 seem to be odd and in some way linked to the vicar (of 1909-1926). He was the Reverend Ernest Langham Boughton Kevill-Davies. On the plaque is another Kevill-Davies - Herbert W.S. who I know about and was from Croft Castle, Herefordshire. I don't know how he was related to the vicar and I wondered if any of the above names are connected with the family in some way?

Regards.

SPN.

Discovered today that William Albert Somerset Herbert Kevill-Davies was the nephew of the Rector of St. Mary, Maldon. He is on the St. Mary's plaque. the Kevill-Davies family lineage didn't help me with any of the other names 'though.

The last 11 are proving to be very difficult indeed!

Regards.

SPN.

Hi Maldon, they weren't adopted by the Minister were they? Or maybe choirboys/altar boys?

Mike.

Interesting thought - but they would still come up as Maldon people wouldn't they?

(Thanks for keeping with me on this).

Regards.

SPN.

Hi Maldon

Try contacting 'Moulsham' on this forum - he's doing the same job as you for Chelmsford War Memorial - he's had some recent breakthroughs on a few names - I'm sure he'd be happy to help with a few ideas for you.

I know most of his difficulties were down to spellings and/or non-comemorated (died post 1920).

Simon

Chelmsford.

Hi Maldon

Try contacting 'Moulsham' on this forum - he's doing the same job as you for Chelmsford War Memorial - he's had some recent breakthroughs on a few names - I'm sure he'd be happy to help with a few ideas for you.

I know most of his difficulties were down to spellings and/or non-comemorated (died post 1920).

Simon

Chelmsford.

Thanks Simon. Will do.

SPN.

Dear all - although I have been undertaking research into the Great War for many years now, I am new to this forum so I hope that my approach is correct. According to the Maldon (Essex) War Memorial there were 146 men from the town killed in the Great War. However, the true number (including Heybridge) was nearer to 250. Over the years I have traced the stories behind all but 14 of them. I feel that I have exhausted all of the possible sources and wondered if any of you know who these men are and why they have Maldon connections:

On the main Town Memorial

George Boreham

Edwin Hatley

Samuel Hitchen

George William Howard

Gerald Pearson

Frederick J. Pitman

Frank C. Stammers

On the brass plaque in St. Mary's Church

John Anderson

George Lee Bastin

George Beatty

Claude Fitzroy Clarke

James E.B. Macaulay

Joseph Pinches

Arthur Alfred Robotham

Thanks very much (in advance) for any help.

SPN

Thanks to some fantastic help from my friends on this forum, my list of the missing names has now reduced to 10:

TOWN MEMORIAL

George Boreham

Samuel Hitchen

Gerald Pearson

ST. MARY'S

John Anderson*

George Lee Bastin

George Beatty

Claude Fitzroy Clarke*

James E.B. Macaulay

Joseph Pinches*

Arthur Alfred Robotham

I have searched and searched for these last few without any real joy (although there have been some great suggestions). The three on the main memorial should be definite Maldon links. The St. Mary's group could be more tentative (although appeals in the newspapers at the time with those marked thus * indicated that they were nearly included on the main memorial). Before I go to print with a local history study on Maldon, Heybridge and the Great War I would dearly like to track these men down. Any final help greatly appreciated.

SPN.

Hi Maldon how about

1891 cencus

Father James J Boreham 28

Mother Mary Boreham 34

Henry J Boreham 10/12

Charles G Gepner 10 stepson

GEORGE GEPNER 8 STEPSON

Civil Parish St Peter

Maldon

Essex

Mike

There's also a big Pearson family, St Peter Maldon 1901 cencus Frederick and Kate Pearson, with six sons. One of them could have been known as Gerald, there is a George. Just a wrong spelling on memorial, or Ancestry ?

Mike

There's also a big Pearson family, St Peter Maldon 1901 cencus Frederick and Kate Pearson, with six sons. One of them could have been known as Gerald, there is a George. Just a wrong spelling on memorial, or Ancestry ?

Mike

Thanks Mike. Great to hear from you. I'll follow through on the Boreham and Pearson ideas.

Best regards.

SPN.

Hi Maldon how about

1891 cencus

Father James J Boreham 28

Mother Mary Boreham 34

Henry J Boreham 10/12

Charles G Gepner 10 stepson

GEORGE GEPNER 8 STEPSON

Civil Parish St Peter

Maldon

Essex

Mike

Mike - interesting link this one. The name is actually GYMER (a well known local name). I have followed through but can't find a George Gymer who died in the war. There are, as you say, some George Borehams but no explicit change of name for them from Gymer to Boreham.

The search continues!

Regards.

SPN.

Maldon.

Mike - interesting link this one. The name is actually GYMER (a well known local name). I have followed through but can't find a George Gymer who died in the war. There are, as you say, some George Borehams but no explicit change of name for them from Gymer to Boreham.

The search continues!

Regards.

SPN.

Maldon.

Dear all,

The latest position re. my outstanding names is now as follows:

The Town Memorial

George Boreham (no apparant link with the other Boreham families in town)

Samuel Hitchen (vould be RMLI or Liverpool - but no obvious connection)

Gerald Pearson (could be RFC - but no obvious connection)

St. Mary's Plaque (but not on Town Memorial

John Anderson (there are loads of them!)

George Beatty (could be NZ Rifle Brigade - but no obvious connection)

Joseph Pinches (could be East Yorkshires, KSLI or SWB - but no obvious connection)

I am keen to push on with publication, but my concern is will more hours bring results or should I simply say "no positive identification" against these 6? I will put an appeal in the local paper.

Regards.

SPN.

I would try the appeal in the paper, you will kick yourself, and as sure as eggs is eggs, it'll happen that the miute you publish, new information will appear.

Maybe some of the more experienced members can offer better advice.

It's a difficult choice.

Mike.