Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maldon (Essex) casualties

stephen p nunn

Dear all - although I have been undertaking research into the Great War for many years now, I am new to this forum so I hope that my approach is correct. According to the Maldon (Essex) War Memorial there were 146 men from the town killed in the Great War. However, the true number (including Heybridge) was nearer to 250. Over the years I have traced the stories behind all but 14 of them. I feel that I have exhausted all of the possible sources and wondered if any of you know who these men are and why they have Maldon connections:

On the main Town Memorial

George Boreham

Edwin Hatley

Samuel Hitchen

George William Howard

Gerald Pearson

Frederick J. Pitman

Frank C. Stammers

On the brass plaque in St. Mary's Church

John Anderson

George Lee Bastin

George Beatty

Claude Fitzroy Clarke

James E.B. Macaulay

Joseph Pinches

Arthur Alfred Robotham

Thanks very much (in advance) for any help.

SPN

Firstly, welcome to the best-informed Forum on the web. It is, be warned, highly infectious.

I well remember standing on the Hard, pint in hand, watching the Thames river barges race on the Blackwater......happy days.

Do you have SDGW?

Want them looked up?

Got the Mics?

Just ask...............

Bruce

Firstly, welcome to the best-informed Forum on the web. It is, be warned, highly infectious.

I well remember standing on the Hard, pint in hand, watching the Thames river barges race on the Blackwater......happy days.

Do you have SDGW?

Want them looked up?

Got the Mics?

Just ask...............

Bruce

Thanks Bruce - good to hear from you. I too have had many a good pint down at the Hythe! I have been through all the usual routes - SDGW, CWGC, all the military stuff on Ancestory but keep drawing blanks on these last few.

Regards.

SPN

I have been through all the usual routes - SDGW, CWGC, all the military stuff on Ancestory but keep drawing blanks on these last few.

Regards.

SPN

Suppose it's a silly question but you've gone through the local press to see if anything was reported at the time that might provide the link? How about the Cenus returns? Looks like a few names that might be 'easier' to track down than some. But, trust me, I know how you feel! What ought to be....

Cheers,

Jim

Suppose it's a silly question but you've gone through the local press to see if anything was reported at the time that might provide the link? How about the Cenus returns? Looks like a few names that might be 'easier' to track down than some. But, trust me, I know how you feel! What ought to be....

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks Jim - yes, all the census returns (including 1911) and the local papers - Essex Chronicle and Weekly News. I am just hopeful that some of the names listed above might ring bells with some of the forum members.

All the best.

SPN.

Hi Maldon . Welcome to the Forum

I too am researching my local memorial, and up 'til a couple of weeks a go , there were three names that had everyone stumped. I had a hunch, searched for one man on the 1901 cencus, and found them all, in a local Orphanage.

It may be worth a try looking at Poorhouses/Orphanages.

Cheers Mike.

Hi Maldon . Welcome to the Forum

I too am researching my local memorial, and up 'til a couple of weeks a go , there were three names that had everyone stumped. I had a hunch, searched for one man on the 1901 cencus, and found them all, in a local Orphanage.

It may be worth a try looking at Poorhouses/Orphanages.

Cheers Mike.

Thanks Mike - good plan. I'll try the local Workhouse.

Regards.

SPN.

Thanks Mike - good plan. I'll try the local Workhouse.

Regards.

SPN.

Just looked - no, nothing there. The search goes on!

Regards.

SPN.

If you have Ancestry, look up Frank G Stammers 1901 census . The spelling on memorials can be suspect.

Frank G Stammers

Est Birth abt 1898

Father Arthur

Mother Mary A R

Maldon Essex

Maldon All Saints

Cheers Mike

I have just begun some prelim. research into the 37 Former Pupils of Fulneck School who died in the Great War and find that because the school has a Moravian Church foundation, and extensive overseas links, many of these young men had their origins abroad, particularly the West Indies. I have no idea if this helps, but the many off-shoots of the Protestant and Catholic Church and their founding and funding of educational establishments may be relevant to your area of Maldon. I am originally an Essex boy[Romford] but left when blue salt twists were still found in Smiths crisps, and trekked North. Good luck. This forum records many success stories with your kind of beginning. Phil.

If you have Ancestry, look up Frank G Stammers 1901 census . The spelling on memorials can be suspect.

Frank G Stammers

Est Birth abt 1898

Father Arthur

Mother Mary A R

Maldon Essex

Maldon All Saints

Cheers Mike

Wow - how did I miss that one! I have looked at the census entry and there is also a medal card for a Frank G. Stammers in the RFA (890883). It indicates a discharge under King's Regulations. The same service number appears against a G. Stammers in the CWGC - died 2/2/1919 and burried Belgrade Cemetery. Could it be him???

Thanks very much Mike.

SPN.

Glad I could help. Go through them all , and try different spellings. I know I found two or three that I missed first time round.

I think you've done pretty well on your own. I needed help for a few, and am still searching some.

Good luck

Mike.

There is a service record for a George Bastin ASC # 1310 from 230 Wellington Rd Forest Gate

No idea if that's your man. I couldn't find a MIC for him.

Mike.

Thanks Mike - there is actually a George Lee Bastin in the Canadian Infantry (709355) but I can't yet make any link with Maldon.

Regards.

SPN.

A couple of possibles:

George Boreham- listed on CWGC as G A Boreham 250734 Essex Regiment 10 Battalion Next Of Kin from Colchester

Gerald Pearson- 5503 Essex Regiment 11 Battalion CWGC NOK listed as West Bergholt near Colchester

Apologies if you've already discounted these.

Ali

A couple of possibles:

George Boreham- listed on CWGC as G A Boreham 250734 Essex Regiment 10 Battalion Next Of Kin from Colchester

Gerald Pearson- 5503 Essex Regiment 11 Battalion CWGC NOK listed as West Bergholt near Colchester

Apologies if you've already discounted these.

Ali

Thanks Ali - kind of you. Will follow those ones up.

Best regards.

SPN.

Thanks Ali - kind of you. Will follow those ones up.

Best regards.

SPN.

Have checked those two - the G. Pearson turns out to be a George not Gerald and can't find a link with Maldon for the George Boreham (of Suffolk and Colchester). Back to the drawing board! - but thanks to Mike I manged to reduce the list by one (yesterday) in relation to Stammers. The search goes on for the remaining 13!

Regards.

SPN.

Hi Maldon,

I concur with Skipman with regard to spelling variations. Another thing to watch out for with local memorials is that the first name given on a memorial may in fact be the person's second name (for whatever reason quite a few of my great aunts and uncles of that generation, and my granddad for that matter during the war years, were called by their second name). Hope that doesn't throw a spanner in the works - just something to be aware of!

Best of luck with your research!

Kind regards

Steve

(Colchester lad originally!)

Maldon

This takes me back - I worked at Heybridge in 1994 on a large archaeological excavation, most of the pubs did not serve us as they said we were too dirty!

Here is one maybe for your list -

PITTMAN

Initials: F J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery

Unit Text: 14th Mountain Battery

Date of Death: 20/08/1918

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. F. 10.

Cemetery: BAGHDAD (NORTH GATE) WAR CEMETERY

Stuart

Maldon

Based on last few threads of spelling - here is another possibility from CWGC

CLARK, CLAUDE FREDERICK

Initials: C F

Regiment/Service: Northamptonshire Regiment

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/10/1918

Additional information: Son of Henry John Clark, of Woodford, Essex.

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. C. 25.

Cemetery: TERLINCTHUN BRITISH CEMETERY, WIMILLE

Stuart

oops sorry meant this one -

CLARKE, CLAUD FITZROY

Nationality: Indian

Regiment/Service: 20th Deccan Horse

Date of Death: 30/06/1918

Additional information: Son of the late Dr. J. Ferrier Clarke, M.D.; husband of Agnes Violet Wakefield Clarke, of Ladies' Army and Navy Club, 27, St. James's Place, S.W.1.

Grave/Memorial Reference: 2. 70.

Cemetery: MITCHAM (CHURCH ROAD) BURIAL GROUND

Stuart

Maldon

This takes me back - I worked at Heybridge in 1994 on a large archaeological excavation, most of the pubs did not serve us as they said we were too dirty!

Here is one maybe for your list -

PITTMAN

Initials: F J

Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery

Unit Text: 14th Mountain Battery

Date of Death: 20/08/1918

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. F. 10.

Cemetery: BAGHDAD (NORTH GATE) WAR CEMETERY

Stuart

What a fantastic chap you are!!! His medal card gives his widows address as Brick House Cottage, Maldon. If you are ever in Maldon - dirty or not - I'll buy you a pint!! I am now down to 12 names thanks to the wonderful support of this forum.

Yours flabbergasted.

SPN.

Maldon

Based on last few threads of spelling - here is another possibility from CWGC

CLARK, CLAUDE FREDERICK

Regiment/Service: Northamptonshire Regiment

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/10/1918

Additional information: Son of Henry John Clark, of Woodford, Essex.

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. C. 25.

Cemetery: TERLINCTHUN BRITISH CEMETERY, WIMILLE

Stuart

oops sorry meant this one -

CLARKE, CLAUD FITZROY

Nationality: Indian

Regiment/Service: 20th Deccan Horse

Date of Death: 30/06/1918

Additional information: Son of the late Dr. J. Ferrier Clarke, M.D.; husband of Agnes Violet Wakefield Clarke, of Ladies' Army and Navy Club, 27, St. James's Place, S.W.1.

Grave/Memorial Reference: 2. 70.

Cemetery: MITCHAM (CHURCH ROAD) BURIAL GROUND

Stuart

Thanks again Stuart. Yes, notwithstanding the "e" on Claud, I think it is the latter Indian Major but, try as I might, I can find no link with Maldon. He isn't on the main memorial - just on a plaque in St. Mary's church. Probably placed there by Kevill Davies the then vicar.

Regards.

SPN.

2 days of membership- 2 results! Keep this one going Maldon. Good luck with the last dozen.

Phil.

2 days of membership- 2 results! Keep this one going Maldon. Good luck with the last dozen.

Phil.

Thanks Phil. I feel really supported in my quest to bring these Maldon men back to life.

Regards.

SPN.