Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

112th Railway Company Royal Engineers

vea53

I have recently discovered from on-line war records that my grandfather, Sapper 55416 Edward Harry Morris, served with this company in France from early 1915 to 1919.

He was a Packer Platelayer with the GWR in Shrewsbury before he joined up as was his brother Frederick William.

Amongst the on-line records there is a casualty form with 7 entries which I have been unable to decifer.

Is there anyone out there who has already discovered what this unit did during the war?

Could someone who is used to looking at casualty forms help me with finding out further information about his injuries?

Thanks very much.

vea53

I believe 112 Company was a railway construction unit. It has a war diary at the National Archives which will tell you about its day to day doings. The reference is:

WO 95/4053 112 Railway Company Royal Engineers 1914 Nov. - 1919 May

His medical sheet just tells you he was in and out of hospital and that he was wounded on one occasion. There appears to be nothing that tells you exactly what he was in for.

Terry Reeves

Hello,

Sorry to break into your posts but I was wondering where Edward Morris was born? I have an Edward Morris in my family tree, could it be the same one?

Thanks

Chris Carter

Moose Jaw,

Saskatchewan

Canada

Edward Harry was born in Lydbury North in Shropshire in 1895. I have traced his family tree from 1800 to his death in 1949. He spent all his life in Shropshire apart from his 1914-1918 war service.

Good luck with your further research.

vea53

Thanks Terry for the 112th Company diary reference.

I will try and get to the National Archives this spring, I have a list of documents I need to consult there relating to several family members.

vea53