Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

lancashire fusiliers brothers in arms

leosuki

hi all,bear with me as this is my first post. can anyone help me with this. 2 brothers, charles and william bleese, died within a day of each other in 1917. Charles was a member of the 2nd salford pals 16th lancashire fusiliers no 11778 and entered france in nov 1915. he died of wounds on 30.7.1917 aged 23yrs. I think he would have fought on the somme, ?1st jul 1916. i am not sure what the regiment was engaged in in jul 1917.

william was in the 2nd/5th Lancashire fusiliers no 41661. i am not sure when he arrived in France, but know he was killed in action aged 19yrs on 31.7.1917. i think this may have been in the battle of pickem ridge but am not sure. i have not found any service records for them.

i would be grateful of any further information on such a poignant history

many thanks

Dear Leosuki,

According to Michael Stedman's book on the Salford Pals Private 11778 Bleese C was a member of Platoon no. XIII [Platoon comander Lieut D Robertson] part of "D" Company O.C. Captain W Owen Smith.

The 16th Bn went initially to Conway in North Wales on 11th February 1915, then to Catterick on the 21st June 1915. They were there until 28th July then on to Ponteland, near Newcastle, [29th July-5th August] then Codford until 20th November then on to France via Folkstone on the 22nd November 1915.

After disembarking at Boulogne they went by train to Longpre vis Etaples and Abbeville. They then marched to Albert and the front.

In July of 1917 the Battalion was in the Ypres area and heavily involved in trench raids and "minor" skirmishes with the Germans. The fighting in that area was pretty constant and in addition to the raids there was fairly constant shelling.

Stedman's book is well worth a read and is quite detailed "Salford Pals 15th, 16th 17th and 18th Battalions Lancashire Fusiliers" ISBN 0-85052-356-7

Regards,

Dave Swarbrick

I am due to go to the lancashire fusiliers museum to donate the webley wilkinson i have talked about on this site on the 18th of Febuary , can i help you by looking for anything for you ?

Rich M

I am due to go to the lancashire fusiliers museum to donate the webley wilkinson i have talked about on this site on the 18th of Febuary , can i help you by looking for anything for you ?

Rich M

hi rich

basically any info on the said brothers as to theatres of war they served in would be great

or any info they have on the bleese brothers

many thanks

Hi, The 2/5th LFs were involved in an attack north-east of Wieltje between the 31st July 1917 and 2nd August 1917. Lieut Colonel B.Best-Dunkley won the Victoria Cross during this action.

The Salford Pals were between the 5th and 19th July 1917 trenches St Georges Nieuport; raids on the 11th 16th and 17th July; between the 19th-26th Kuhn Camp,Coxyde Baines; 26th -31st Bray Dunes; 31st Oost-Dunkerke. Regards Ralph.

many thanks ralph

looks like may be able to look up the victoria cross winner to find out more about the actions of the 2nd/5ths between 31st jul and 2nd aug 1917

many thanks ralph

looks like may be able to look up the victoria cross winner to find out more about the actions of the 2nd/5ths between 31st jul and 2nd aug 1917

Hi. From the History of The Lancashire Fusiliers.

Date of L.G. notifying award 6/9/17. Captain (Temp 2nd 5th Lieutenant-Colonel) Best-Dunkley.B.

For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty when in command of his battalion, the leading waves of which, during an attack, became disorganized by reason of rifle and machine-gun fire at close range from positions which were believed to be in our hands.

Lieutenant-Colonel Best-Dunkley dashed forward, rallied his leading wave, and personally led them to the assault of these positions, which despite heavy losses, were carried.

He continued to lead his battalion until all their objectives had been gained. Had it not been for this officer's gallant and determined action it is doubtful if the left of the brigade would have reached its objectives.

Later in the day, when our positions were threatened, he collected his battalion headquarters, led them to the attack, and beat off the advancing enemy.

This gallant officer has since died of wounds.

( Extract from London Gazette dated 6/9/1917.) Regards Peter.

hi all

many thanks for everyones help with this

can i ask where i could get a photograph of william bleese,s platoon. i don,t know which platoon he would have been in, only that he was in the 2nd/5th battalion