Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help!

lindsayw

Hello,

I've just started trying to find out more about Gunner James Hassell in the Great War, but am having problems in making any progress.

His medal index number is RFA 249B 29875 and regimental number 19212. Could anyone kindly help me in deciphering what these might mean? Is there anyway of finding out his battalion number for example?

Thank you.

Lindsay

Yes he did......he was born in Chester in 1887, migrated to Canada but returned to the UK in 1928 and died in Poole in 1939.

Thanks.

Lindsay

Lindsay

Did he survive the war?

Regards

Phil

I think the first number/letters will be the ones that lead to the Medal Rolls at the NA (not online). His Regimental number is the number given when he joined up. The Artillery were usually attached to a Division. Does his MID have a date of entry into a theatre?

Steve M

Thanks ....as I said though I'm new at this....what does MID mean? I haven't found any trace though of entry into a theatre.

Please forgive my ignorance!

Thanks.

Lindsay

I think the first number/letters will be the ones that lead to the Medal Rolls at the NA (not online). His Regimental number is the number given when he joined up. The Artillery were usually attached to a Division. Does his MID have a date of entry into a theatre?

Steve M

what does MID mean?

MID means Mentioned In Despatches but I believe there is some confusion here as (I believe) Steve meant to say MIC which would have been Medal Index Card, i.e. the card from which you initially quoted the RFA 249B 29875 reference from.

If it's a Standard MIC then in the bottom left hand corner there are "Theatre of War first served in" and "Date of Entry therein" boxes which, if the soldier served overseas before 1916, are usually filled in. If there are no entries then it suggests that he went overseas after 1st January 1916.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

many thanks for the tip.....really interesting but I'm afraid of no help....there's just too little information on his card. I guess I'll just have to go to Kew.

Thanks anyway.

Lindsay